"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 02-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
Master Chef

Michael is definetely correct. When making leavened pancakes, a chemical reaction takes place that releases Co2 bubbles. It's these little bubbles that make the pancake rise. The chemical reaction only takes place until chemicals are "used up" so to speak.

That being said, a longer shelf life is obtained by using a double-acting baking powder. It has two sets of ingredients, one set that activates when liquid is added, and a wnd that doesn't begin its action until heat is applied. Even then, the best leavening takes place within minutes after the batter is made. Also, for the most tender pancakes, mix as little as possible, only until everything is wet. Small lumps in the batter dissapear as the panckes cook. Over mixing result in rubber pancakes.

For still lighter pancakes, replace 1/3 of the wheat flour with oat flour. It makes an incredibly light pancake. Unfortunately, it take some skill to flip these pancakes as they are very fragile and will break easily. You almost have to have two pans so as to flip from one to the other. But the regular home made recipe I use creates very tender, moist, and light pancakes without the addition of oat flour. I just find it fun to experiment with things. (see Goodweed's World Famous Pancakes).

And, even though pancakes are good after being frozen, they are best when hot off the griddle, and I mean right off the griddle. If they even sit for a few minutes, much of the moisture steams away, or if they are stacked, then those underneath can become soggy and squished down.

Anybody can make good pancakes. But great pancakes are and art.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
Head Chef

Agree with the great advice. To me the only difference between crepes and flapjacks is the leavening - baking powder.

Yes there is always the question of sugar, which I add for breakfast or dessert crepes but not for ones meant for savory dishes.

If you wanted to prepare the batter the night before as a time saving step suppose you could just add the baking powder in the morning just before tossing them into the fry pan or griddle.

Batter left over? Would try adding some additional baking powder in the AM, just before cooking. How much? Dunno. Would try a teaspoonful or so for every cup of batter. Think it might work.

Or could just cook the batter up the next day, and call them fat crepes.

Maybe some of the leavening that is released upon cooking the double action baking powder will remain overnight, puffing up the crepes a bit.

Fry up with some slices of cooked breakfast sausage, served with some lovely jam or syrup, sounds good to me.

Kinda like toad in the hole made without the leavening.

Since this is pancake batter, and therefore may well have sugar in it, could always use the remainder for a dessert.

Make some teeny pancake/crepes, top with something tasty (jam, chocolate?) add some ice cream, what is not to like? And no one would care if the pancakes were flatter than, well, pancakes.

Have no idea if the batter would work for making popovers or Yorkshire pudding, but you could always try.

Just a few random toughts.

Time to draw my toad back into the hole and go to sleep.

Another work week ahead.

Drat.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:47 AM   #13
Head Chef

Well, I just learned something more, flapjacks are different in UK and America too from Aunt Dot's description. In UK flapjacks are oaty bars..