Pancake Dessert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniman

Executive Chef
I used to have a recipe for a pancake desert which consisted of layers of pancake & apple. I want to try to do something like this with the kids at school on Shrove Tuesday. Does anyone have a recipe I can use?

Oh me, where did I just see that - CharlieD! Popular type of thing in Ukraine. Look up the pancake recipe he posted here. Then email him about the apples. His basic pancakes are very good. Can't remember what he emailed to me about incorporating apples. (shh don't tell him :)

Do you have a recipe for blini? It's not the same as what you're describing, but blini with an apple topping would be quite delicious, I think.

I don't have a recipe for the apples, but what I would do is get maybe 3 apples, quartered and sliced thin. Keep them in acidulated water until you're ready for them. Then I think I'd melt 1/2 stick of butter or so, and maybe 1/2 cup of brown sugar, perhaps a little more. Then I'd add maybe a T of honey, a T of maple syrup, a pinch of salt, and cinnamon and cook my apples slices in that over low heat until they were very tender. Chill and serve on top of blini.

I'll PM you with the blini recipe, because I don't believe we're allowed to post published recipes, correct?

College Cook - sure you can post published recipes - just can't exactly copy and post the "instructions" that go with. Tell them in your own words to avoid copy right infringement. Can't change a minor word or two, just rewrite into your own telling.

Trouble is, blini are so ancient how can one tell the story in a way that hasn't been told by some one else? No clue. :)

It is definetly a stack of about 6 pancakes layered with apple and then baked in the oven. We did it years ago and it was great but lost the recipe book in our fire.

That does sound delicious! But what do I make for everyone else while I eat that?:pig:

Was it a purchased cookbook or one you created yourself? If it was purchased and you remember the title you might be able to find it online..

There are few different recipes for the pancake pie/cake in Russian/Ukrainian cosine. Personally I’ve never made one, but the main idea is to make bunch of pancakes and then stack them up and bake. Use pie spring form, spray the inside or butter it, sprinkle some bread crumbs then layer your pancakes and apples (like the apple pie), maybe sugar, repeat. Make as many layers as you want, but not too thick, it will not bake properly inside. Of course if you used pre-made apples that are already soft and completely cooked you can make it as thick as you want because all you need is to heat the thing up. Brush the layers with an egg and also the top, and sprinkle the top with more bread crumbs. This is just my thinking. This is not an actual recipe. I’ll see if I can find one.

Similar recipe with crepes

Hi to everybody! I'd like to try this recipe, but I haven't the recipe for pancakes. Can anyone give me the original recipe? Thanx!

I have a similar recipe, made of layers of crepes, cream and fruits.

How to make crepes:
1 table spoon flour, 1 egg, milk (1/2 glass), pinch of butter for skillet

mix egg and milk, then add flour. Take a skillet, melt a small pinch of butter, to avoid stitching.
Take a spoon of mixture and when the skillet is very hot, drop it and let it cook for a few minutes.
Try to give a circle shape. Cook on both sides.

Take a big round dish and lay one crepe, some whipped cream (or crema pasticcera, if you prefer) and fresh fruit. The one I prefer is strawberries and crema pasticcera. You can calculate 4-5 layers.

Fresh fruits: you can use each kind of fruits. Here in Italy we generally combine apples with creame pasticcera and a little liquor (vin Santo, or Rhum) just one table spoon.
Also pears are ok, combined with cholotate cream.
In summertime we've a large variety of fruits, peaches, apricots....it only depends on fantasy!

I hope my English is clear...:glare:
Have a nice day, Simona

Back
Top Bottom