"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters
View Poll Results: Are these the best you've tried
yes 4 40.00%
No 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2004, 07:37 AM   #1
Master Chef

Pancakes

I gave this recipe to the people on FN. I share it with you. Thanks can be given to my eldest daughter for helpng me figure out why sometimes the recipe came out good, while at other times, it was magic. It's now always magic. Hope you enjoy it.

This recipe comes out of my copyrighted cookbook so please respect the copyright. You may give the ingredient list to everyone, but the text is mine. Thank you.

The title may sound a bit pompous, but everyone who has tried them say these are the best pancakes they have ever eaten. Enjoy.

World’s Finest Pancakes

These pancakes come out so moist and light that you will never buy a pancake mix again. They are best when served immediately. Enjoy them.

Dry Ingrediants:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Double Acting Baking Powder (You must use Double Acting Baking Powder to get the best texture)

Wet Ingrediants:
3/4 plus 1/8 cup milk
1 large Egg
3 tbs. Cooking oil
Preheat the griddle. Place the dry ingrediants into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk or mixing spoon. Add the remaining ingrediants and again stir until mixed. Do not stir until all the lumps are gone as this will overmix the batter. There should be small lumps. These will dissapear while cooking the pancakes.
Cook over medium heat until the bubbles close slowly as they rise and pop. Do not cook until the bubbles stay open as this will dry out the pancake. And most importantly, Don’t squish them down with your cake turner or spatula. When they are ready to flip, turn them over and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. If you must cook up enough for a bunch of people, keep them warm by stacking in a large-rectangular cake pan and placing the pan into a 120' oven covered with a clean kitchen towel.
You can add blueberries to the uncooked batter without changing anything else. However, if you add acidic fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, or pineapple, you will need to add ½ tsp. Baking soda to the batter to ballance the acid from the fruit.
The above recipe makes enough pancakes for two people. Yo can easily enlarge the recipe by simply multiplying the ingrediants by the same number. That is, if you double the flour, multiply all other ingrediants by two.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 08-27-2004, 08:53 AM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
These are great with fresh black berries! I also love them plain with no syrup or butter.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
I'd like to think that that is your copywritten recipe but I believe it the same as my grandmother gave me so many years ago......
Old 08-27-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
Cook

looks like i'll be making pancakes for breakfast tomorrow
fng_3887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:58 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I can assure you that Goodweed's pancake is the best I've ever made. No mix can touch these.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
Everymom

I like my mom's recipe the best. Sorry Goodweed, yours were good (had em for lunch today) but Mom's still rule.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:05 PM   #7
Master Chef

Didn't Say I Was First

It's OK by me Alix. My intent is just to share what I know, not to crow. :D

And as far as being the first to make these, I really think that there have been others who have used the same recipe. It's soooo simple. But when I did it, I didn't use anyone elses recipe. This was original to me. At the time, as far as I knew, I was the first. And, by the way, you can't copyright a list. therefore, the ingredient list is free for all to share. The accompanying text is the part that's copyrighted. And I'm sure your grandmother didn't write the same text.

In any case, I just wanted to share this so that others can gain from my experience, so they don't have to reinvent the wheel. Myself, I enjoy reinventing the wheel. I'm still trying to get "from-scratch" cakes right. But I'm close now. I'll get it yet. I have to be able to do it from scratch, with no help, to learn the dynamics of technique and how the individual ingredients work together. If I don't, I have no right including cakes in my "Breads, Quickbreads, and Pastries" cookbook-in-progress. That's just who I am.

Old 08-27-2004, 07:29 PM   #8
Everymom

How do you get it copyrighted? Did you write a cookbook?! That is tooooo cool.

And thank you for sharing your knowledge and recipes, I didn't mean to sound ungrateful, the poll asked if they were the best I ever tasted. They ARE darned fine.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:01 PM   #9
Master Chef

Actually, I have four cookbooks, all self-published on CD-Rom. To copright your work, you merely have to send in a hardcopy print of the text and pay the fee. Then, it is done and you have the recorded copyright.

You are covered by copyright law just by writing a complete work. But by applying for copyright protection, you have greater proof that you are the original author of the work.

Old 08-29-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Ricotta Pancakes with Banana-Pecan Syrup

For the Banana-Pecan Syrup:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 small bananas, thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
1 cup cane or maple syrup
For the Ricotta Pancakes:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, separated
2 cups milk
4 ounces ricotta, well drained (1/2 cup)
Butter or vegetable oil

For the Banana-Pecan Syrup:
Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the nuts and saute for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the bananas and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the syrup and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until the syrup is hot and slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside in a warm place.
For the Ricotta Pancakes:
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt together onto waxed paper or a plate. Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer or whisk until stiff but not dry. Beat the egg yolks, milk, and ricotta together in a large bowl until well blended and smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix gently with a large spoon. Stir a spoonful of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold in the remaining egg whites with a rubber spatula.

Warm a serving platter in a 200 degree F oven.

Heat a nonstick flat griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Grease with butter or vegetable oil. Pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup batter per pancake onto the pan and cook for about 2 minutes, or until bubbles form on the surface, then flip the pancakes over using a large wide spatula. Cook on the other side for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer the pancakes to the warm platter.

Serve immediately or hold in the oven while you cook the rest of the pancakes. Serve the pancakes on heated plates topped with the syrup.