Pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Are these the best you've tried

• Total voters

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I gave this recipe to the people on FN. I share it with you. Thanks can be given to my eldest daughter for helpng me figure out why sometimes the recipe came out good, while at other times, it was magic. It's now always magic. Hope you enjoy it.

This recipe comes out of my copyrighted cookbook so please respect the copyright. You may give the ingredient list to everyone, but the text is mine. Thank you.

The title may sound a bit pompous, but everyone who has tried them say these are the best pancakes they have ever eaten. Enjoy.

World’s Finest Pancakes

These pancakes come out so moist and light that you will never buy a pancake mix again. They are best when served immediately. Enjoy them.

Dry Ingrediants:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Double Acting Baking Powder (You must use Double Acting Baking Powder to get the best texture)

Wet Ingrediants:
3/4 plus 1/8 cup milk
1 large Egg
3 tbs. Cooking oil
Preheat the griddle. Place the dry ingrediants into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk or mixing spoon. Add the remaining ingrediants and again stir until mixed. Do not stir until all the lumps are gone as this will overmix the batter. There should be small lumps. These will dissapear while cooking the pancakes.
Cook over medium heat until the bubbles close slowly as they rise and pop. Do not cook until the bubbles stay open as this will dry out the pancake. And most importantly, Don’t squish them down with your cake turner or spatula. When they are ready to flip, turn them over and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. If you must cook up enough for a bunch of people, keep them warm by stacking in a large-rectangular cake pan and placing the pan into a 120' oven covered with a clean kitchen towel.
You can add blueberries to the uncooked batter without changing anything else. However, if you add acidic fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, or pineapple, you will need to add ½ tsp. Baking soda to the batter to ballance the acid from the fruit.
The above recipe makes enough pancakes for two people. Yo can easily enlarge the recipe by simply multiplying the ingrediants by the same number. That is, if you double the flour, multiply all other ingrediants by two.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'd like to think that that is your copywritten recipe but I believe it the same as my grandmother gave me so many years ago......

I can assure you that Goodweed's pancake is the best I've ever made. No mix can touch these.

I like my mom's recipe the best. Sorry Goodweed, yours were good (had em for lunch today) but Mom's still rule.

Didn't Say I Was First

It's OK by me Alix. My intent is just to share what I know, not to crow. :D

And as far as being the first to make these, I really think that there have been others who have used the same recipe. It's soooo simple. But when I did it, I didn't use anyone elses recipe. This was original to me. At the time, as far as I knew, I was the first. And, by the way, you can't copyright a list. therefore, the ingredient list is free for all to share. The accompanying text is the part that's copyrighted. And I'm sure your grandmother didn't write the same text. ;)

In any case, I just wanted to share this so that others can gain from my experience, so they don't have to reinvent the wheel. Myself, I enjoy reinventing the wheel. I'm still trying to get "from-scratch" cakes right. But I'm close now. I'll get it yet. I have to be able to do it from scratch, with no help, to learn the dynamics of technique and how the individual ingredients work together. If I don't, I have no right including cakes in my "Breads, Quickbreads, and Pastries" cookbook-in-progress. That's just who I am.

How do you get it copyrighted? Did you write a cookbook?! That is tooooo cool.

And thank you for sharing your knowledge and recipes, I didn't mean to sound ungrateful, the poll asked if they were the best I ever tasted. They ARE darned fine.

Actually, I have four cookbooks, all self-published on CD-Rom. To copright your work, you merely have to send in a hardcopy print of the text and pay the fee. Then, it is done and you have the recorded copyright.

You are covered by copyright law just by writing a complete work. But by applying for copyright protection, you have greater proof that you are the original author of the work.

Ricotta Pancakes with Banana-Pecan Syrup

For the Banana-Pecan Syrup:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 small bananas, thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
1 cup cane or maple syrup
For the Ricotta Pancakes:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, separated
2 cups milk
4 ounces ricotta, well drained (1/2 cup)
Butter or vegetable oil

For the Banana-Pecan Syrup:
Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the nuts and saute for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the bananas and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the syrup and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until the syrup is hot and slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside in a warm place.
For the Ricotta Pancakes:
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt together onto waxed paper or a plate. Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer or whisk until stiff but not dry. Beat the egg yolks, milk, and ricotta together in a large bowl until well blended and smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix gently with a large spoon. Stir a spoonful of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold in the remaining egg whites with a rubber spatula.

Warm a serving platter in a 200 degree F oven.

Heat a nonstick flat griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Grease with butter or vegetable oil. Pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup batter per pancake onto the pan and cook for about 2 minutes, or until bubbles form on the surface, then flip the pancakes over using a large wide spatula. Cook on the other side for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer the pancakes to the warm platter.

Serve immediately or hold in the oven while you cook the rest of the pancakes. Serve the pancakes on heated plates topped with the syrup.

On the topic of copyrights, does anyone know the parameters of posting recipes you've come across in magazines? Is this an absolute no-no or is it okay as long as you say the source?

Gemini, geez...I sure hope it is OK since I posted that cake one a while ago! YIKES! I am going to keep an eye on this thread to find out what others know about this.

Gosh GWN! I certainly meant no harm to your person...ya i cant finde the word right now...lol....I just have good days and bad days and on the bad things just come out wrong...my apologies!

As for posting copywritten things, I dont see a problem as long as the nature of the recipe is posted. Any insights on this would be good. I'm sure, as GWN has stated there are a ton of recipes out there that have been duped....how can you know for sure if it's in your little recipe box that was handed down generation after generation. Ya, I think if it is from a direct source it's only decent to give the author credit, no?

Anyways I apologize again GNW!!!!

Hey Alix! Maybe the fact that nothing has happened is a clue! Tanis, you make some good points, so thanks! If this takes too long, I will post them and take my chances, and give credit where credit is due... :D

Not a lawyer, so my word is not worth the paper you use to wipe your...

At any rate, I've always been under the impression that it's next to impossible to copyright an ingredient list for a recipe, however, the text below and above it can be copyrighted.

So if you were to post a recipe, the ingredients can be identical, but your instructions had better not be. There are some authors who don't mind so long as you post it exactly as written and you attribute the recipe to the author, just as Goodweed has.

In my case, if I know there's a recipe online that's copyrighted, I will post the url for those interested to find it themselves. If it's a recipe from a cookbook, I won't post it, but I will direct people to it.

I'm being overly cautious. I don't think anybody will come after you for posting a copyrighted recipe here, but old Mr. Murphy has been known to lurk around some unusual corners.

goodweed, i dreamt of those last night. they were sooo good, too... very fluffy but then they ended up dense in the end. they were HUGE, though, something like 1 1/2 inches thick! but you know how dreams go. i think i'll make some later. with homemade strawberry sauce. yum! :D

luvs_food said:
goodweed, i dreamt of those last night. they were sooo good, too... very fluffy but then they ended up dense in the end. they were HUGE, though, something like 1 1/2 inches thick! but you know how dreams go. i think i'll make some later. with homemade strawberry sauce. yum! :D

:rolleyes: I can't imagine what could have caused your pancakes to become 1 1/2 inches thick. That's a cake LOL. Mine are more like 1/2 inch thick if even that. I have to verify that these are the best pancakes I ever made and my friends now think so too.

Alix said:
I like my mom's recipe the best. Sorry Goodweed, yours were good (had em for lunch today) but Mom's still rule.

Okay Alix, now you've got me really curious. I made Goodweed's recipe and have to agree they are the best pancakes I've ever had. Now Imake them that way all the time. But you said your mom's are better and I would love to have you post your mom's recipe. Thanks in advance, looking forward to seeing the recipe. :LOL:

VegasDramaQueen said:
luvs_food said:

:rolleyes: I can't imagine what could have caused your pancakes to become 1 1/2 inches thick. That's a cake LOL. Mine are more like 1/2 inch thick if even that. I have to verify that these are the best pancakes I ever made and my friends now think so too.

like i said, you know how dreams go. when you're dreaming, things that don't make sense seem totally normal. :D

Back
Top Bottom