"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 06-21-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Pancakes!?!

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow I am making pancakes for my Dad for Father's Day.

I have made them enough times but I've used different recipes and don't do it very often. So, every time I make them the first couple don't turn out that great.

It seems like every time I make pancakes, it's a learning curve. Are there tips to making them? Most recipes call for medium high heat but I find that creates burned pancakes that are still uncooked in the middle.

I would love to get the cripsy edges, I know that requires using a little fat or oil... tips on that?

I am using a recipe I got from my mother, for buttermilk pancakes.

Thanks ahead and Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!

Old 06-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

The first ones never turn out great. Just give those to the dog and give the next batch to dad

Old 06-21-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Master Chef

I love buttermilk pancakes. And yes, do use some oil for frying. Also do not add any sugar to the recipe then you have better chance of them not to burn.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
Senior Cook

This recipe calls for a little bit of sugar. (I don't have the recipe here so I can't post it.)

It is only a little bit of sugar, at the most a Tbs and I doubt even that much.

What do I lose if I don't add the sugar? It does make sense to leave the sugar out to help with burning. Just curious what my opportunity COST is... :)

In a nutshell, ingredients are flour, buttermilk, salt, baking powder, baking soda, an egg, sugar and oil.

Not in that order and I can't recall any specific measurements.

Thank you
Old 06-21-2009, 01:16 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Oh, I should mention too...

I am making bacon (pancakes and bacon being his favorite breakfast) - my plan is to oven bake the bacon and use the drippings as the oil for the pancakes.

I am not a skilled user of pan drippings (bacon, chicken, sausage, etc). So, any tips on this are welcome as well.

The goal is to use enough bacon drippings to create a little bit of crisp on the pancakes. This is NOT in my mothers recipe so I will be "trying" this out...

You know, my Dad will "love" whatever I make. He will say it's the "best" he's ever had of ANYTHING I make. I am so so so lucky to have him for a Dad...I would love for him to REALLY love his breakfast - I will of course never know "for sure" but I'd like it to be good!
Old 06-21-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Stick with the sugar. That small amount won't make a difference in sticking.

As for the bacon grease, just have the griddle moistened over-all. Kind of like a Teflon skillet would be. Brush it on and pour the pancake batter on. Add more bacon grease as you make your pancakes. Yum!!! Enjoy.

It's natural for the first few to be a bit "unnatural" as the griddle heats up and you get acclimated to cooking them. Give those to the dog.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:54 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Stick with the sugar. That small amount won't make a difference in sticking.

As for the bacon grease, just have the griddle moistened over-all. Kind of like a Teflon skillet would be. Brush it on and pour the pancake batter on. Add more bacon grease as you make your pancakes. Yum!!! Enjoy.

It's natural for the first few to be a bit "unnatural" as the griddle heats up and you get acclimated to cooking them. Give those to the dog.
i don't have a dog they go to the hub!! along with any broken "dipping" (over easy) egg yolks.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:58 AM   #8
Master Chef

Southern Corncakes W/ Corn and Bacon
you can sub buttermilk for milk and up the soda to 1 tsp.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Here's the recipe I use, Buttermilk Pancakes. I cook them on an un-greased non-stick griddle, and I've never believed in the "throw the first one out" business.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Success!

Thanks for the tips!

Here is the recipe I used (really pretty basic).

1 C buttermilk
1 egg
1 C flour
1/2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 T oil
1 T sugar

I mixed the dry and wet ingredients separately and added the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. I refrigerated the batter while the oven was preheating and I was making the bacon. I used the bacon grease for the skillet (cast iron) and re-greased inbetween each pancake.

My mom showed me a trick to spread them out a bit so they aren't so thick and that is to tip the pan to spread them out.

Thanks for your tips!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	7271