"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

You should try the Chief’s recipe. It’s the best.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I bet it is, Andy, but we're happy with mine. I've looked his recipe over in the past (and again just now); mine is quicker and easier, and we like it. No sense in upsetting the apple cart...unless I'm peeling a slicing an apple to add to my pancake batter.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I've always mixed the batter, then cooked with it right away even though I've read that letting it sit a while improves the end result. This last time I made them, I finally remembered to let them rest. If you wait just a little while (maybe about a half hour), the lumpy parts absorb liquid. No powdery residue trapped inside any pancake and, better yet, the very last pancakes were almost as fluffy as the first. Normally, the last pan of cakes from the batter are pretty flat ones.
Yes, letting it sit and mellow for 15-30 minutes is often recommended in recipes.

I generally just use a wooden spoon to mix with, and I don't add all of the milk from the start. A few quick beats while the batter is still quite thick seems to break up those larger chunks without overmixing. Then I'll add in more liquid until the consistency looks right.

I know that I helped Mom make pancakes even while I was in grade school (my brother and I always had to have some sort of animal or object pancakes, and Mom obliged as best she could, considering that pancake batter is an unwieldy medium to work with).

I've been making them for so long that it's implanted in my head. I rarely measure the flour or liquid - one egg, a couple tablespoons of oil, baking powder, and then milk until it looks and feels right to me.

Tags
cake, cakes