Refrigerating pancake batter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dada

Assistant Cook
Hi there. I was wondering if and how long I can keep pancake batter refrigerated. I like eating pancakes in the morning but sometimes when I'm in a hurry I don't have time to do so.

I'm sure it's possible to keep the stuff for a while, but perhaps no longer than 3 days or do? What do you guys think?

PS: since I'm new here, I don't really know if this is the right place to post this!

Welcome to DC, Dada. This is as good a place as any to ask your question, since a great many of the "all knowing" frequent this page.

I also like pancakes in the morning and sometimes refrigerate the remaining batter. I'm not certain how long batter will remain good in the fridge, because mine never lasted longer than the following morning and it was gone.:LOL: You might play with your recipe and get it down to where there's enough batter for two meals, and then you can have it for two days in a row without worry of it going bad. Personally, I think if stored cold in a sealed container, there should be no problem to keep it for three days.

JoeV

Welcome to DC Dada. Like Joe said, I can't see a problem with 3 days. I know that in my fridge it is not edible at 7 days. If it starts to separate a bit, just shake it up. If it starts to go a greyish colour, ditch it.

As an alternative, you can put all the dry ingredients into a small juice bottle the night before, then in the morning, just add the milk and egg into the bottle and shake. Ready pancakes in a pouring container. Pancakes also freeze well so you could cook, freeze and reheat as required.

Hi there. Thanks for the welcome!

I'll try seeing how long it's possible to refrigerate it. I might try freezing them too, but my fridge is already too full of bread and various pasta sauces... :chef:

Pancakes and refrigerator, When I'm at my daughters the two grandchildren (8 & 10) ask for pancakes Saturday morning. It seems to be a ritual with them. I make a full batch of batter and put the extra pancakes in a zippy bag and put them in the refrig. Seems to work better than saving the batter, and with a microwave much quicker.

CharlieD's are excellent for keeping in the refrig and excellent eating. If you don't want to save anything and are making for somone else also try Goodweed's. Most excellent also but they need to be eaten hot out of the pan. Enjoy!

since there is only me now that likes them and it is only hubbie and me home now. I will mix up a batch, then cook them all, let them cool, place in freezer bags 2 in a bag with plastic wrap separting them and freeze them. when i want them i just take them out, place them on a plate , microwave them for few seconds . taste great.
It is also nice when the grandkids come over, one wants cereal the other wants pancakes.

I have never had good luck refrigerating any batter that uses baking powder for leavening. I measure the wet and dry ingredients the night before and combine in the morning.

I've never had any problems keeping pancake batter in the fridge for 2 or 3 days. The only thing is, it tends to thicken up so I have to add more milk to get the right consistancy.

i too on occassions made pancakes for the grandchildren and put the extras in the fridg. and freezer for later. I have reheated the pancakes either in the microwave or the toaster.

Back
Top Bottom