"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
Executive Chef

potato pancakes using raw grated potatoes are a whole different story, uh, animal, uh, ballgame!!! somehow, it's the sports analogy that usually works the best....:)

Old 11-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This sounds good, S&P! Have you ever tried it with frozen hash brown potatoes?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i woke up this morning with an overwhelming taste for potato pancakes, but had to settle for soft boiled eggs. they were good, the eggs. they always are. but i feel the need for potato pancakes in my life today! i will be making your recipe, s&p for dinner tonight. (the rings will have to wait a while). thanks s&p--you are continually coming up with inspiring, delicious dishes featuring many of my favorite foods....:)
How did they go V?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
How did they go V?

i had to put my home healthcare worker to the potato pancake task. it turned out to be a rather expensive indulgence (one i don't for a single second regret).and i did peel the potatoes in advance.

i thought i missed having homemade applesauce with them, but pps don't really require a topping for me, i was reminded. mostly, i contentedly snacked on my pps straight out of the fridge, paper towels in hand, a sprinkle of sea salt. heavenly munchables!

this special treat meant a two day hiatus from my sensible diet, to which i dutifully returned, with very little harm done. like picasso, i have my "blue period" and potato pancakes are on my 'blue list'--as in "once in a blue moon" favorite food trip. it has to remain a restricted pleasure 'cause there's no portion control possible with these things, none attempted--totally free range event....
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a sausage roll thawing out. It will go very nicely with some potaot pancakes. I have four small pototes and it will be just enough. Then I can add potatoes to my grocery list.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Pleased to hear you enjoyed it V

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i had to put my home healthcare worker to the potato pancake task. it turned out to be a rather expensive indulgence (one i don't for a single second regret).and i did peel the potatoes in advance.

i thought i missed having homemade applesauce with them, but pps don't really require a topping for me, i was reminded. mostly, i contentedly snacked on my pps straight out of the fridge, paper towels in hand, a sprinkle of sea salt. heavenly munchables!

this special treat meant a two day hiatus from my sensible diet, to which i dutifully returned, with very little harm done. like picasso, i have my "blue period" and potato pancakes are on my 'blue list'--as in "once in a blue moon" favorite food trip. it has to remain a restricted pleasure 'cause there's no portion control possible with these things, none attempted--totally free range event....
Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have a sausage roll thawing out. It will go very nicely with some potaot pancakes. I have four small pototes and it will be just enough. Then I can add potatoes to my grocery list.
Ads, I too think they will go very nicely with a sausage roll, enjoy!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
Head Chef

Don't be shy about sharing your recipe, S&P. Very unique & great pic. Grew up w/ PP, but never used a mold/ring. My grandmother would fry them up in chicken fat/schmaltz. My biggest problem was oxidation (everything turned red). Sometimes I mix the grated potatoes w/ carrorts and/or zuchinni. (Many ways to go.) For crispy brown pancakes, use breadcrumbs in place of flour. I serve w/ sour cream and/or apple sauce, or horseradish & sour cream. Thanks again, for sharing your recipe/version.

ETA: To "jazz" them up for a cocktail party, top the pancakes w/ a dollop of sour cream and caviar.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

No matter what the purpose of the potato is going to be, I place them in ice water as soon as they are peeled. In the case of pp, I didn't grate them until I had the batter all made. Then I squeezed them in my pastry towels. Directly into the batter they went which I made as the potatoes were soaking. I always make sure I have the water waiting before I start peeling. No oxidation problems. And the soaking removes some of the starch. Which is not always a bad thing.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Don't be shy about sharing your recipe, S&P. Very unique & great pic. Grew up w/ PP, but never used a mold/ring. My grandmother would fry them up in chicken fat/schmaltz. My biggest problem was oxidation (everything turned red). Sometimes I mix the grated potatoes w/ carrorts and/or zuchinni. (Many ways to go.) For crispy brown pancakes, use breadcrumbs in place of flour. I serve w/ sour cream and/or apple sauce, or horseradish & sour cream. Thanks again, for sharing your recipe/version.

ETA: To "jazz" them up for a cocktail party, top the pancakes w/ a dollop of sour cream and caviar.
caviar--a good pp idea i'd not heard of before, cerise, i love it!
for me, the ice water bath (to keep the grated potatoes from oxidizing) is a totally unnecessary step. it seems to me a lot of extra time and trouble to soak, then have to strain the potatoes, unless you really need to remove some of the starch. long ago, i became so accustomed to working with that huge pink pile of grated potatoes, that to me, it seemed the perfectly natural and proper color for them to be. yes, even when they stood around long enough to turn from pink to an admittedly unappetizing shade of gray. you see, i knew that once they hit the frying pan, the pancakes would soon be transformed into the delicious golden brown discs that is also the way they were always meant to be....

Tags
peppers, potato, salt