"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
Yes, there is a powdered form of sour cream. My theory is, and it should work for every one, in my kitchen I'm the boss and if I want sour cream in a batch of pan cakes, SPLAT!, in goes the sour cream.
Love that !!!

I didn't know there was a powdered form of sour cream. After doing a quick search I'm now wondering if there is one that is better than another. Also, where would you purchase something like this?

Old 06-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
Cook

I never found out who the supplier is. They lost that contract so I will never find out. If there are any good researchers the company name was President's Choice (Special Recipe Pancake Mix). it is Canadian. That is all I know.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Master Chef

Sometimes when I do not have yogurt I use sour cream instead in my pancakes, but then kind of have to play with consistency.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
Master Chef

I remember, as a child, that when the half-gallon of milk soured, Mom would immediately declare a pancake day. My husband likes my blintzes, and I make them from whatever form of milk is at hand. I've used cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, yogurt. And, yes, doing it correctly, both regular milk and butter milk.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I love the recipe I use for these German style sour cream pancakes. I used to do them from scratch, but I now use bisquick.

12 heaping Tbsp Bisquick
12 Heaping Tbsp Sour Cream
6 large eggs
1 tsp sugar
Pinch of salt
Milk to thin, if needed.

Wisk all ingredients together in large bowl. Let stand for 1/2 hour. Heat griddle/large skillet over medium heat. I prefer non-stick. Use a paper towel to wipe a thin layer of canola/vegitable oil in the pan as it heats, being careful not to burn your self. Using the method you prefer, pour batter into skillet. Wisk well right before you start to pour. You'll know when to flip. These things are so light, they might just start floating out of the pan! Be careful, you might find yourself eating more of these than you would other pancakes.

Tags
cream