"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Cook

Sour Cream in Pancakes?

My top three pancakes from restaurants are McD's, Denny's and Cracker Barrell. Most other places, I can only eat about 2 pancakes, but at the restaurants listed above, it leaves me wanting more.

I have some kind of a hint, but still dont know the details. I used to work in a Cake mix factory, we make the cakes you buy in a box at the store. We made them for over 300 different stores across the country, and a few international brands. Anywhere you are in the country at the local grocery store this factory most likely made it.

One Canadian brand stood out the most, President's Choice Special Recipe pancake mix. For some reason this one peticular brand was different then all the others. Granted there was about 10-15 different formulas, but this one was exclusive.

And it smelled just like McD's pancake mix. None of the others did. My job was the 'End of the Line' where all the conveyor belts came together and we prepared them for truck loading.

But I was able to ask the mixers what they put in the 'PC' Special Recipe. They said Sour Cream, and (I forgot the other thing but it was unique - this was over 8 years ago)

So has anyone heard of Sour Cream in pancakes. I have heard of it in donuts and yes it has the familiar taste. I never did see them do it, so I dont know does it come in a powder form or just put a 'Dollop of Daisy'?

Old 06-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1615...248206,00.html

You can start here. I went to several sites, and this one seemed to have the idea of what you are looking for. The sour cream is part of the recipe mixed in with the other ingredients. A lot of them just did the Dollop of Daisy thing.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Executive Chef

My Mom used to put sour cream in pancakes sometimes. It does add a bit of a different flavor but it's good.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I like the sound of using sour cream, I would ty it
Old 06-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Or buttermilk.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Yes, there is a powdered form of sour cream. My theory is, and it should work for every one, in my kitchen I'm the boss and if I want sour cream in a batch of pan cakes, SPLAT!, in goes the sour cream.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oldvine, I like how you think!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

There is a fabulous recipe my family has made for decades for special occasions and anytime one could wrangle it.
It's found in most older cookbooks like Gourmet, Bon Appetit, etc, and of course, found online easily.
They are cottage cheese pancakes (the one with whipped egg whites folded in).
This is a true delicacy that just needs lemon wedges, powdered sugar, sour cream, homemade jam or fruit syrup toppings. So light and airy, delicate and delicious!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

love it!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Head Chef

When I make pancakes from scratch (not bisquick), I use buttermilk instead of regular milk. We like the subtle tang it adds and I really think it makes them a little fluffier. My BIL has a recipe for waffles that uses sour cream and they have that same subtle tang. I say go for it, what's the worst that can happen? You don't like it so waste a few ingredients and a little time?

Tags
cream