Syrup Alternative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolokia

Assistant Cook
I know, I know, it is almost criminal to suggest pancakes without syrup, but I really love pancakes but cannot justify consuming that much syrup on that regular of a basis. So does anyone have any good fruit topping ideas or anything they use? The other thing is, when using sometime different as a topping do you generally try to change how you make the pancakes (i.e. fluffier, thinner, etc) depending on the alternative topping?

Being a diabetic, I lightly sprinkle my pancakes with sugar and plenty of melted butter. And I could have all the maple syrup I want for free. Life is just not fair. My son works two weekends in Vermont. One of his co-workers has a farm and they do the maple syrup thing every spring. They always hold back some to give to friends or as gifts. My son knows I would just drink it right out of the bottle.:chef:

What is it about syrup that you are trying to avoid?

You could drizzle with honey, just use less because it is very sweet. Sometimes I will put jam on mine, you can heat for a few seconds in the microwave and pour it over the pancakes.

Jolokia said:
I know, I know, it is almost criminal to suggest pancakes without syrup, but I really love pancakes but cannot justify consuming that much syrup on that regular of a basis. So does anyone have any good fruit topping ideas or anything they use? The other thing is, when using sometime different as a topping do you generally try to change how you make the pancakes (i.e. fluffier, thinner, etc) depending on the alternative topping?

I use some honey with crema de leche as a topping for my pancakes.

i make crepe-like pancakes most of the time, but whatever shape i make them, my mom will spread fruit jam on them. my dad usually preferred a generous sprinkling of sugar on his. myself, i like pancakes plain, with pure maple syrup, or lightly sugared--granulated sugared....:)

I bought some Agave Nectar after a few people on here mentioned it. Agave Nectar tastes a bit like maple syrup and/or honey AND is sweeter than both but it has a LOW glycemic index.

Avoiding Sugar Shock

The primary sugar in agave nectar is a complex form of fructose, which gives it a much lower glycemic index than honey. Depending on the variety, honey's glycemic index usually falls in the 65-85 range. The glycemic index of agave syrup differs with variety and manufacturer, but usually falls between 11 and 30. This makes it less likely to raise blood sugar or trigger the body's fat storage mechanisms.

All About Agave - Agave Nectar vs. Liquid Sugars

Last edited:

I actually prefer different toppings for different types of pancakes. I'll use molasses on buckwheat pancakes and honey on cornmeal pancakes.

If it's sugar you want to avoid, maybe try using a low-sugar fruit jam as a topping?

If you are trying to cut back on the sugar I would heat some natural no sugar added applesauce in the microwave with a little cinnamon and or nutmeg. I would also plop a big dollop of sour cream on the top but, that is just me.:pig:

Crushed pineapple, packed in juice, thickened with a little cornstarch is another easy and inexpensive topping.

Last edited:
How about topping it with heaps of fruit? Like sliced strawberries and a bit of whipped cream. Or assorted berries macerated overnight to pile on pancakes. Maybe even some slicked bananas with a drizzle of maple syrup topping the pancakes along with some walnuts! Sauteed apples and cinnamon with a teaspoon of brown sugar or splenda.

Mmm...now I want pancakes. :yum:

How about topping it with heaps of fruit? Like sliced strawberries and a bit of whipped cream. Or assorted berries macerated overnight to pile on pancakes. Maybe even some slicked bananas with a drizzle of maple syrup topping the pancakes along with some walnuts! Sauteed apples and cinnamon with a teaspoon of brown sugar or splenda.

Mmm...now I want pancakes. :yum:

me too me too!!:)

Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, or Loganberries, all of which can be put directly on the pancakes and topped with whipped cream (or not), or made into a compote and poured over the pancakes. You can also use sliced or diced stone fruit (peaches, plums, apricots, nectarines) instead of berries as both a fruit only topping or as a compote.

I have a bottle of rhubarb reduction syrup that is an awesome substitute on pancakes & waffles. Essences of Niagra? I think it's a product of Kittling Ridge winery. Last I checked they will ship. I also have a 5 pepper sauce and an infused grape seed oil from them that are very good.

My son was a fan of drizzling chocolate sauce over his pancakes. I admit to doing it myself a time or three as well. =)~

Back
Top Bottom