"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 05-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up The BEST Waffle recipe! With Kefir

The original recipe is from The Baker's Companion Spring 2007. BUT, I made a change to this recipe that makes all the difference in the world to the texture and taste. If you are a fan of waffles, and can get your hands on some "Kefir", this recipe is a definite keeper!

Kefir can be found "sometimes" in health food stores. Buy the unflavoured for this recipe. If you make your own kefir, Even Better! I've been making my own from whole milk fermented kefir grains for a few months now.

2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups plain wholemilk kefir (you can use buttermilk, as per the original recipe, but kefir is better in my opinion)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter - melted and cooled to room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups unbleached cake flour or unbleached all purpose flour (cake flour is way better in the recipe)
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup pecan meal (optional)

In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, kefir, melted butter, and vanilla. In another bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Combine the wet and dry ingredients just until smooth.

Spray your waffle iron with a nonstick cooking spray before preheating it. For an 8 inch round waffle iron, use about 1/3 cup batter. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the iron stops steaming and waffles are golden brown.

*Waffles are best consumed as soon as they are baked, but in a pinch you may place them on a wire rack to cool, wrap tightly to store in the refrigerator, then reheat for 6 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I love waffles! Thanks!

Barbara

Old 05-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Sous Chef

can I switch this into a pancake recipe? I don't have a waffle iron. thx!

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

That's a good question. I am not sure as I don't make waffles. LOL You could try. ;)
Old 05-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl
can I switch this into a pancake recipe? I don't have a waffle iron. thx!
This recipe looks very similar to a recipe I have posted on this forum, whole wheat buttermilk pancakes. The only difference is there is only 2 T oil (no butter) and 1 t. baking powder, instead of 2 t. in this recipe. Oh, and my recipe has no sugar. It is funny that I add pecan meal to my pancake recipe .
My guess is that this would work very well as pancakes. Just pay attention to the proper pancake consistency.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
This recipe looks very similar to a recipe I have posted on this forum, whole wheat buttermilk pancakes. The only difference is there is only 2 T oil (no butter) and 1 t. baking powder, instead of 2 t. in this recipe. Oh, and my recipe has no sugar. It is funny that I add pecan meal to my pancake recipe .
My guess is that this would work very well as pancakes. Just pay attention to the proper pancake consistency.
thanks! I'll have to try that!

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thank you bethzaring! :)
Old 06-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Here's another recipe, a bit unusual:

RICE WAFFLES

Rice waffles offer an excellent means of utilizing left-over rice. Such waffles are prepared in about the same way as the waffles just mentioned. In working the cooked rice into the dry ingredients, use should be made of a light motion that will not crush the grains, but will separate them from one another. Left-over cereals other than rice may also be used in this way.
RICE WAFFLES

(Sufficient to Serve Six)
1-3/4 c. flour
2 Tb. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. cooked rice
1-1/2 c. milk
1 egg
1 Tb. melted fat

Mix and sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and then work the rice into the dry ingredients. Add the milk and the well-beaten yolk of egg. Stir in the melted fat. Beat the egg white stiff, and fold it into the batter.

Check for more:
RICE MUFFINS

Cheers