TNT "belgian" waffles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabrine

Cook
I’ve often heard about “belgian waffles” but you can say that there are no belgian waffles but a whole bunch of varieties. Each major town or so own her recipe. Some have a very light structure like waffles from Brussel these ones are eaten hot with cream and sugar and sometimes fresh fruit it is delicious . I’ll give you the recipe as soon as i’ll translate it.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]The one I’m giving you is the recipe of the waffles from Liege . the dough looks like a brioche dough and in fact it is a sort of brioche dough .

I use metric system . I'm not too familiar with US standards . I hope I did not mistakes when i converted. I have let the metric measurement so you can correct if needed :)

Liège’s Waffles
500 g flour (3 1/3 cups)
3 eggs
30 g fresh yeast (you can use dry instant yeast )
1 cup tepid milk
200 g butter (1 cup)
250 g coarsed sugar (1 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tps salt

In a bowl combine milk and yeast until yeast is dissoveld. Stir in eggs vanilla extract and flour . Add flour until soft dough is formed . Knead about 10 to 15 (I use a food processor ) Add butter softened and knead until butter is well incorporated. Add Coarsed sugar. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour and half or until the dough double in size. Deflate the dough and divide in small balls (about 2 1/3 oz each one ) cook in hot iron .

sameOLARX1D26012005192739690607.jpg

Welcome to DC, Sabrine. Thank you for sharing the recipe and the pic with us. How unique. My experience has always been with a batter, but never a dough. Another was potato waffles. My first taste of a "belgium" waffle was at the World's Fair, and I've been in love with them ever since.:chef:

Yes there is waffles that have batter like waffles from Brussels . the batter is like pancakes batter and the result give a very light waffle but you have to eat as soon as you bring it out the iron. There another variety of waffles that have a batter like cakes. These waffles are smaller in size and used to be done (made?) and offered for the new year :)

I hope I'm understandable .I did not practice english for years, last time was probably in the age of bronze :LOL:

If someone wants to correct me he can :winkiss: This will help me to improve my english :)

These are waffles from brussels

sameOLARX1D141220051807467402.jpg

Sabrine, your English is perfect, and the recipes and pictures look delicious. Maybe you can correct me, is it Belgium or Belgian? waffles? Thank you. Don't be a stranger, come share some more with us. :)

Last edited:
Well Belgium is the country and people from Belgium are the belgians :)

And of course waffles are belgian too :-p

Hi Sabrine, thanks for the great recipe, I really didn't know there were many variations to the waffles made in Belgium. This one above looks really good, I wish I could find a waffle iron in Italy, which I have never seen as yet here in Rome...:(

sameOLARX1D141220051807467402.jpg

I had this type of waffles often in Holland, they were very popular there, too... Lidl carry a prepackaged version of this, but well... as you can imagine not quite the same thing....:huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom