"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 10-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Waffles, Must have waffles!

I am not sure this is the right place for this question, but i am sure someone will let me know.

Currently my favorite waffle receipe is one i found in Fine cooking magazine about 5, or 6 or 7 years ago, i forget it was before i got married.

The reciepe makes 4 waffles on my round cusinart waffler, I have used the perfect beaker to succesfully cut that reciepe in half as it is just me and the wife so far,

The wife is not a big breakfast person during the week/ thinks waffles shoould be a special breakfast on sunday

Ah I am trying to get that reciepe down to one waffle, or to find a reciepe that makes light waffles, one at a time.

Anybody ever seen a reciepe for just one waffle?

The reicepe i have uses whipped egg whites and oil that if you try to keep it over night, it seperates and gets icky and just dosent have any life to it , if you use it the next day.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
Master Chef

Vilasman, I'm moving this to the bread forum as that includes waffles, too.

I've cut waffle and pancake recipes in half before but have never seen one for just a single waffle. I have, however frozen extra cooked waffles and pancakes with success. Then you can reheat them in a toaster oven whenever you want a treat!

Old 10-23-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I have a recipe for just regular waffles that you can keep in the fridge and make as needed. I grew up with pancakes every morning. ;)

I can post the recipe later today if you want it, even though it's not fancy. I think it's all in what you put on top.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Master Chef

Take your pick.

Traditional Waffles
Ingredients for 1 waffle:
Dry
1/2 cup AP Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Sugar
2 tsp. double-acting baking powder

Wet
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tbs. cooking oil

Combine dry ingredients. Mix 1/2 of the beaten egg with the milk and oil, then gently stir into the dry ingredients. Cook in waffle iron. Remove to rack to allow steam to escape for a crispy outside with a tender middle.

Hint, you can use the remaining egg for french toast.

Belgian Waffle
Ingredients
Dry:
1/2 cup AP Flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar
1 tsp. dry yeast

Wet:
1 large egg, seperated
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tbs. cooking oil

Warm the milk to 100 dgrees F. Remove from heat and mix in the sugar and yeast. Set aside and cover.

Whip the egg white into a stiff marangue. Combine the remaining ingredents together in a suitable bowl. When the yeast/milk mixture has foam on top, stir into the dry ingredints, along with the egg yolk. Fold in the marangue. Bake immediately in the waffle iron. Remove to a rack to allow to steam. sErve with your favorite toppings or syrup.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Master Chef

Vilasman, be sure to give Goodweed's a try--it doesn't get better!
Old 10-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I've seen goodweeds reciepe before, i think I did try it, but i think I burned them a little that time. That was before ai got my non stick, which allows to make Ihop color and done ness Pancakes. I will have to try it again
Old 10-24-2005, 12:17 AM   #7
Master Chef

Question

Thanks goodweed for the recipes. I usually like to have only one waffle, so this will help me out. In your first recipe do you think I could substitute all or some of the AP flour with whole wheat flour?

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:59 AM   #8
Master Chef

Sierra, I've always heard that you can replace 1/2 of the total amount of called-for flour with whole wheat without effecting the texture. I'm not sure if that would go for something as light and fluffy as goodweed's waffles, but I know I've done it in cookies, breads, muffins, etc without a problem.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:48 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook
Thanks goodweed for the recipes. I usually like to have only one waffle, so this will help me out. In your first recipe do you think I could substitute all or some of the AP flour with whole wheat flour?
I love waffles made with whole wheat flour. By all means, substitute in either recipe. Be warned though. There are those who just won't have waffles unless they're made with AP flour, my wife being one of them. I often make half recipes with whole wheat or multigrain flour for me, and white flour for my DW.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:20 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMeg
I have a recipe for just regular waffles that you can keep in the fridge and make as needed. I grew up with pancakes every morning. ;)

I can post the recipe later today if you want it, even though it's not fancy. I think it's all in what you put on top.
You mean you make up the batter and bake the waffles as needed? I'd be interested.