Waffles, Must have waffles!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I am not sure this is the right place for this question, but i am sure someone will let me know.

Currently my favorite waffle receipe is one i found in Fine cooking magazine about 5, or 6 or 7 years ago, i forget it was before i got married.

The reciepe makes 4 waffles on my round cusinart waffler, I have used the perfect beaker to succesfully cut that reciepe in half as it is just me and the wife so far,

The wife is not a big breakfast person during the week/ thinks waffles shoould be a special breakfast on sunday

Ah I am trying to get that reciepe down to one waffle, or to find a reciepe that makes light waffles, one at a time.

Anybody ever seen a reciepe for just one waffle?

The reicepe i have uses whipped egg whites and oil that if you try to keep it over night, it seperates and gets icky and just dosent have any life to it , if you use it the next day.

Vilasman, I'm moving this to the bread forum as that includes waffles, too.

I've cut waffle and pancake recipes in half before but have never seen one for just a single waffle. I have, however frozen extra cooked waffles and pancakes with success. Then you can reheat them in a toaster oven whenever you want a treat!

I have a recipe for just regular waffles that you can keep in the fridge and make as needed. I grew up with pancakes every morning. ;)

I can post the recipe later today if you want it, even though it's not fancy. I think it's all in what you put on top. :chef:

Take your pick:mrgreen:.

Traditional Waffles
Ingredients for 1 waffle:
Dry
1/2 cup AP Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Sugar
2 tsp. double-acting baking powder

Wet
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tbs. cooking oil

Combine dry ingredients. Mix 1/2 of the beaten egg with the milk and oil, then gently stir into the dry ingredients. Cook in waffle iron. Remove to rack to allow steam to escape for a crispy outside with a tender middle.

Hint, you can use the remaining egg for french toast.

Belgian Waffle
Ingredients
Dry:
1/2 cup AP Flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar
1 tsp. dry yeast

Wet:
1 large egg, seperated
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tbs. cooking oil

Warm the milk to 100 dgrees F. Remove from heat and mix in the sugar and yeast. Set aside and cover.

Whip the egg white into a stiff marangue. Combine the remaining ingredents together in a suitable bowl. When the yeast/milk mixture has foam on top, stir into the dry ingredints, along with the egg yolk. Fold in the marangue. Bake immediately in the waffle iron. Remove to a rack to allow to steam. sErve with your favorite toppings or syrup.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I've seen goodweeds reciepe before, i think I did try it, but i think I burned them a little that time. That was before ai got my non stick, which allows to make Ihop color and done ness Pancakes. I will have to try it again

Sierra, I've always heard that you can replace 1/2 of the total amount of called-for flour with whole wheat without effecting the texture. I'm not sure if that would go for something as light and fluffy as goodweed's waffles, but I know I've done it in cookies, breads, muffins, etc without a problem.

SierraCook said:
Thanks goodweed for the recipes. I usually like to have only one waffle, so this will help me out. In your first recipe do you think I could substitute all or some of the AP flour with whole wheat flour?

I love waffles made with whole wheat flour. By all means, substitute in either recipe. Be warned though. There are those who just won't have waffles unless they're made with AP flour, my wife being one of them. I often make half recipes with whole wheat or multigrain flour for me, and white flour for my DW.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

CanadianMeg said:
I have a recipe for just regular waffles that you can keep in the fridge and make as needed. I grew up with pancakes every morning. ;)

I can post the recipe later today if you want it, even though it's not fancy. I think it's all in what you put on top. :chef:
You mean you make up the batter and bake the waffles as needed? I'd be interested.

My waffle pan turned up in the mail to day.
22.gif

Unfortunately I have a problem with this thread, who can stop at only one waffle?

Stack 'em up & scoff 'em. :ROFLMAO:

Awaiting the return of DW with the supply waggon then I'll be into 'em. :pig:

We got a rolling doover in the package as well to roll the (hot) waffles
into ice cream cones.
That'll be interesting.

It's only a cheapie & I bought it online to test out eBay. Cost me $A6.00
(abt $US4.50). :LOL:

On the theme of waffles I have a strange question....

Has anyone ever made a waffle recipe that used (some percentage of) rice flour in it? :)

why cut it in half or less...make a batch, let them cool, bag and freeze them. You have just made your own toaster waffles...they reheat well (within 3 weeks) and are far better than store bought ones!

don't forget to open one of those cardboard boxes of neopolitan ice cream (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry) on the side, and cut a slice of the three flavors, then sandwich them between 2 hot belgian waffles. a perennial jersey shore favorite!

You're killing me, BT. :)

How about a waffle-wich - spread each (of 2) with cream cheese or peanut butter and jelly. Ta da - a waffle sammich.

Back
Top Bottom