Waffles tender and fluffy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelleytoons

Assistant Cook
Okay, I know that everyone wants the perfect waffle recipe, and I've seen at least 10 on the web that got high ratings but were nearly identical. I also understand there is a difference between yeast and baking powder ones (although I've never tried the yeast ones).

Of the baking powder ones I've tried (about five) none came close to the very tender, fluffy waffles I can get at my favorite eatery (which, unfortunately, won't give me a clue as to how they make them). These are melt-in your mouth, fork easily coming down through them high (at least 1.2" and perhaps more) "Belgium" waffles that are quite different from the ones I can make (which are crisp and harder on the outside than I want). The outside was still golden brown (so not like the flat soggy ones I used to make without a Belgium waffle maker) but not so hard I needed a knife to get through it. But it didn't get soggy even with lots of syrup after 20 minutes.

Anyone have a clue as to how I can achieve this? I thought I might try another four or five recipes this weekend to finally nail this once and for all.

Just one of them? IOW, either sour cream, buttermilk or yogurt, right?

I'll do just that (as I said, I'm going to try three or four so perhaps I can find a recipe for each one :>).

Consider cooking them at a lower temperature so the exterior isn't super hard by the time the interior is cooked.

I'm not a fan of sweet breakfast, but a good waffle will get my attention. To me, a good waffle is like a good French fry, crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside.

Of course, this is of no help to you, since I have no idea how to make such a waffle. BUT, it does have my inner boy scientist wondering what a waffle, par cooked in a waffle maker, and finished in a deep fryer would be like.

Hey, funnel cakes are deep fried.

CD

Have you tried one where you separate the eggs, whip the whites to soft peaks and fold them in after everything else is mixed in the batter?

I have started making homemade yogurt. I have been replacing the buttermilk/milk in my recipe with whey I have strained from my yogurt. My waffles and pancakes now are very light, tender and fluffy. I also use baking powder and baking soda (they go crazy for the whey) and some cornmeal. The added protein and probiotics are a plus for us. So maybe your answer would be to use buttermilk, yogurt or whey (if you make yogurt). The acid will react with the baking powder and help fluff up your waffles. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom