"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #31
Executive Chef

After Pac supposedly sent out whole hawgs of home cured belly bacon to everyone, my faith in the email service dimenishes and I don't trust Fed-ex/UPS either, no matter how cute someone thinks the UPS guy is wearing summer uni's. Besides, how does one deliver pancakes and achieve that melty pat of butter on top of the stack if it's just tossed on your doorstep, Right side up. Pancakes do have a right side up. Is it even marked. Fragillay.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #32
Master Chef

If you are really going to do this, then there is only one real way to do it fairly. You will need to make a batch of each recipe, and serve them in a blind taste test to members of your family, without them knowing whose recipe they are eating. Tally their votes, and send them in for each recipe. It could be done as a voting poll, as were the Golden Chef competitions were. I think there will be a bunch of happy judges.

Now you just need volunteers to cook the pancakes.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That sounds fair...however there are certain folks who cannot eat that many pancakes without blowing their carb intake for the year...
Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
There's no debate in my mind, Charlie. We share the title, equally. Both of our recipes were judged, and found to be best in class. They are different as night is to day. and both have their place in the pancake hall of fame. I salute you, not compete against you.

I always say that there is not one best way to make anything. I stand by that. ....
Could not agree more.

My yogurt pancakes are as simple as it gets.

Ingredients:
1 – 8 oz. yogurt
1 cup all-purpose flour*
1 – Small egg (if you only have large it is not a problem)
1 pinch of salt
¼ teaspoon of baking soda mixed with about half a tablespoon of vinegar**
Oil for frying.
Sour cream and Syrup, or even jelly, for serving***

Note:

* If yogurt is only 7 oz., as a lot of them are nowadays, you only need 7 oz. of flour.
** You can use baking powder, but I do not know how much you would need to substitute.
*** These pancakes are neither sweet nor savory, but conveniently can be served either way. My kids like it sweet, I on the other hand like it savory. I eat mine with the sour cream and lox or caviar, or even herring. If I do eat it sweet, I do not like my pancakes with maple syrup, but my daughter does. I use fruit syrup like Smucker’s brand, found in the baking section.

Directions:

Put flour in a bowl. Add all wet ingredients mix well, until no lumps. Preheat frying pan. Pour some oil in the pan. Use small ladle to pour batter into pan. My pancakes are somewhat oblong and are about 2-3 by 3-4 inches. Fry on one side until the top looks like it’s starting to bubble up a little bit. Flip them over and fry the second side.
Serve hot with above mentioned sides.

Last, but not least; I always make extra (usually triple the recipe). We warm them up in the microwave for kids before school. You will find out that they are as good even a week later.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Stepping back a moment to Jed’s pancakes. I kind of like the patterns your pancakes make. And the crispy edges. The little holes in the lighter parts, not so much. Readily improved upon. I think you should be allowed in the so-called Frisbee Pancake Throw- Down.
Pancakes. They are not just for breakfast.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #36
Master Chef

I've made Chief's pancakes and they are excellent, my wife and kids absolutely loved them.
I'd be willing to make somebody else's now.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Pancakes. They are not just for breakfast. ..

That is for sure.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That sounds fair...however there are certain folks who cannot eat that many pancakes without blowing their carb intake for the year...
Eat a couple bites of each, with some good sausage or bacon.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #39
Executive Chef

[QUOTE=Chief Longwind Of The North;1277249]Eat a couple bites of each, with some good sausage or bacon.

Well, I could agree to this. Many mixing bowls, happy hands. As much as I talk, my mouth is bigger than my stomach. It would probably satisfy any sugar or carbo over load concerns too.

Now, who volenteers to clean up the drips and spills between my counter and stove, and the syruppy goodness that drips on my shiirt betwen fork and mouth. Yeh, I thought so, no hands up on this. I prefer lite domestic activity too.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #40
Master Chef

P.S. There should be some pictures of my pancakes somewhere in one of the albums.