"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 09-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
GOODWEED: I've been making your terrific pancakes for over a year now and I think they are the best ever. Don't mess around with the recipe.

P.S. Is it snowing in the UP yet??
Well thank you for the compliment. Everyone I've given it to tells me the same thing. I love it when I can give something to someone that brings them years of pleasure. I guess it's become my signature recipe.

And nope. It only got down to 48 degrees last night, not nearly cold enough for snow. We usually don't get any until at least the end of October. Besides, I got my corn and tomatoes in late this year. I picked my first ripe tomato last Friday, and of course turned it into club sandwiches. I picked two more perfectly ripe tomatoes on Sunday. What became of those tomatoes? Well that's on another post in the discussion topics area.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
Executive Chef

whole wheat pancakes

may I add my recipe for whole grain pancakes?...........am gonna anyway!

Here is a TNT recipe for whole grain pancakes. Please note that the mixing technique is a bit different from regular pancakes. This is a very forgiving recipe, it is very difficult to overmix the ingredients. They are a light tasty pancake. My DH eats them plain, I smear on a bit of butter and maple syrup and when I have guests for breakfast, I offer fresh yogurt, sliced fruit, maple syrup, butter and/or my homemade wild black raspberry syrup. This recipe makes 12 pancakes and I use a 1/3 cup measuring cup for the scoop.

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes

2 eggs
1 3/4 cup buttermilk or yogurt
2 cups whole grain flours, any combination that strikes your fancy
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt

2 T. oil

in a smaller bowl, mix the flours, soda, powder and salt. In a larger bowl, beat the two eggs until frothy, and add the buttermilk, mix well. Dump the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until mixed. Add oil, stir again.

Ladle onto hot griddle. When pancakes sides start to stiffen, or bubbles start to appear on the pancake, flip pancake over. Serve immediately, or freeze for later enjoyment.

I currently am using 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 1/3 cup soy flour and 1/3 cup ground up oatmeal and 1/3 cup ground flax seed. You can use all whole wheat flour. Or try 1 cup buckwheat flour and 1 cup ww flour. I believe you could use ground limestone and this recipe would still produce a light pancake. j/k

As stated before, the mixing technique is a bit different, and this recipe does not call for any sugar in the pancakes. I make these pancakes every Sat and Sun and whenever I have guests for breakfast. I use over three hundred pounds of whole wheat flour a year and a lot of it goes into these pancakes.

If using yogurt, do not use the whole 1 3/4 cups, the batter would be too stiff.

I regularly freeze the extras and they show up in DH's lunchbox during the week.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
Master Chef

bethzaring, your recipe looks very good to me. I'm gonna have to try it. I make a similar recipe for whole-graing pancakes, but add apple sauce to the recipe to give it more moisture. Oh, and your recipe looks like it would make phenominal waffles.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 09-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Hey weed,

I bought a few waffle makers, the old kind from the 40's, and got dissolutioned with them because I had to add so much oil to the grids, and that is not easy with the hinged top up. I was spraying oil everywhere, so I gave up on waffles.

Also this pancake recipes takes additions very well. Am currently adding one chopped apple with a dash of cinnamon....
Old 09-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I made some really wierd pancakes a couple monthes ago at work. It was a cornbread blini, and we used them as a base for some canapes. I basically made a basic cornbread batter, albeit about 10x the normal batch I make at home. Add to that some finely mined green onions, and some crushed red pepper for heat. I poured the batter into squeeze bottles, and used those to dispense enough batter to make a half-dollar- to silver-dollar-sized blini. They were actually rather good, but I can't seem to find the recipe.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:35 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Hah! I found the recipe! I had to make a small batch at work, and remembered that I had never checked my Mod 1, Hardcopy Hard Drive, namely, the piece of paper that I wrote the recipe down on and stored in my wallet!

Here we go. Remember, this is a commercial-size recipe, and really, really is BIG. Just scale it down by a factor of 10 or 12, and you should get an approximate quantity for home use.

Corn Blinis
Yields: 600 - 700 pieces, 3 ¾ gal batter

5 qt cornmeal
5 qt flour
Crushed red pepper, TT
1/3 c baking soda
2/3 c baking powder
Salt
1 ½ gal milk
20 eggs
2 c clarified butter
~ 2 qt green onions, sliced THIN
Oil

Muffin method: sift together the dry ingredients. Mix together the milk, and eggs, then mix the liquids with the dry ingredients until the batter just starts to come together. Add the green onions and clarified butter, and mix just until the batter is smooth.
Preheat a skillet or griddle (tilt skillet works good for this quantity). Pour the batter into large squeeze bottles. Oil the cooking surface, and squeeze small, quarter- or half-dollar-sized blinis from the squeeze bottle. Cook until bubbles start to form, then carefully flip, and cook until set. Remove to a sheet pan to cool.
NOTES: Once cool, the blinis can be shingled together into rows on a sheet pan for easier storage. Unused blinis can be frozen for 3 months. Unused batter can be stored for a day or two.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:18 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Hah! I found the recipe! I had to make a small batch at work, and remembered that I had never checked my Mod 1, Hardcopy Hard Drive, namely, the piece of paper that I wrote the recipe down on and stored in my wallet!

Here we go. Remember, this is a commercial-size recipe, and really, really is BIG. Just scale it down by a factor of 10 or 12, and you should get an approximate quantity for home use.

Corn Blinis
Yields: 600 - 700 pieces, 3 ¾ gal batter

5 qt cornmeal
5 qt flour
Crushed red pepper, TT
1/3 c baking soda
2/3 c baking powder
Salt
1 ½ gal milk
20 eggs
2 c clarified butter
~ 2 qt green onions, sliced THIN
Oil...
Wow! My last child just moved out last night (bitter-sweet evening. I'm gonna miss her, but she will become a wonderful young adult out West with her brother.). I don't think my wife and I could do justice to that recipe (of course even when all my kids were home, and all teens, I don't think we could have done that recipe justice. ).

This one shouldn't be too hard to scale down. And it might be an interesting recipe for one of our Church Pancake Breakfasts.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 09-15-2006, 07:51 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Goodweed that might sound strange to others but I think it sounds pretty good.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Goodweed, here's an easy tip:

Just make a normal batch of cornbread. Add to that some finely sliced green onions (green part only), and a little crushed red pepper, and you're good to go.

This recipe I posted is kind of sweet, but it used as a base for canapes. I'm making really, really, small pancakes, a.k.a. a "Blini". If you leave some of the sugar out, and make them a little bigger, you could do well serving these with a good bowl of chili, or as an interesting bread for any South West or Mexican food.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Goodweed, here's an easy tip:

Just make a normal batch of cornbread. Add to that some finely sliced green onions (green part only), and a little crushed red pepper, and you're good to go.

This recipe I posted is kind of sweet, but it used as a base for canapes. I'm making really, really, small pancakes, a.k.a. a "Blini". If you leave some of the sugar out, and make them a little bigger, you could do well serving these with a good bowl of chili, or as an interesting bread for any South West or Mexican food.
Thanks. I wonder what it would taste like if I substituted Masa Flour for ordinary corn meal. I bet it would be a very unique flavor. I love regular cornbread and am now going to have to make some tonight, with your additional ingredients. I have some fresh peppers that are just ripe on my pepper plants. It will be a good way to use them.

The masa experiment, well that will have to be done another day. I'll let everyone know how that turns out when it happens.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North