"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pancakes, Waffles & Fritters

Old 09-10-2006, 12:14 AM   #1
Master Chef

Wierdest Pancakes Ever

For those new members who have not seen it, here's my from-scratch pancake recipe. The wierd part follows.

World’s Finest Pancakes

These pancakes come out so moist and light that you will never buy a pancake mix again. Enjoy them.

Dry Ingrediants:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Double Acting Baking Powder

Wet Ingrediants:
3/4 cup milk
1 large Egg
3 tbs. Cooking oil
Preheat the griddle. Place the dry ingrediants into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk or mixing spoon. Add the remaining ingrediants and again stir until mixed. Do not stir until all the lumps are gone as this will overmix the batter. There should be small lumps. These will dissapear while cooking the pancakes.
Cook over medium heat until the bubbles close slowly as they rise and pop. Do not cook until the bubbles stay open as this will dry out the pancake. And most importantly, Don’t squish them down with your cake turner or spatula. When they are ready to flip, turn them over and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. If you must cook up enough for a bunch of people, keep them warm by stacking in a large-rectangular cake pan and placing the pan into a 120' oven covered with a clean kitchen towel.
You can add blueberries to the uncooked batter without changing anything else. However, if you add acidic fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, or pineapple, you will need to add ½ tsp. Baking soda to the batter to ballance the acid from the fruit.
The above recipe makes enough pancakes for two people. Yo can easily enlarge the recipe by simply multiplying the ingrediants by the same number. That is, if you double the flour, multiply all other ingrediants by two.

From the Kitchen of Bob Flowers

Weird part.

I've always loved breakfast sausage, with its blend of pork, garlic, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, and sage. My Dad used to spoon sausage grease onto his pancakes, and as a boy, so did I. I don't do that anymore, but still love to splash a bit of syrup on my sausage.

I got the idea that I wanted that flavor from my youth, you know, the sausage grease spooned over-top of the pancakes, before pouring on the syrup. But I didn't want all that fat, just the flavor. So here's what I did.

I took the shakers of cayenne pepper, sage, black pepper, and salt (omitted the garlic), and sprinkled just a bit of each flavor onto the uncooked side of my cooking pancake. I finished cooking and plating it. I poured on a bit of syrup and tried a bite. Teh experiment was an unqualified success. I have succeeded in puting that great breakfast sausage flavor on top of my pancake with none of the grease.

Just thought I'd share in case any of you like that flavor as well.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Thanks - I will just print out the "unweird" part.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
Head Chef

Sounds like a good recipe to me. Well except for the weird part. I also love sweedish pancakes but haven't made them for a long time. Did you ever make those Goodweed?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpershere2
Sounds like a good recipe to me. Well except for the weird part. I also love sweedish pancakes but haven't made them for a long time. Did you ever make those Goodweed?
Have never experienced the sweedish pancakes, but love to try pancake recipes. So if you have a recipe to share, send it along. Love making dutch babies. They are so amazing looking and are good with a host of fillings.

And the "weird part", it really tasted great. It was an experiment that worked.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Sounds good. I like weird part. I used to do "weird" pancakes like blueberry and black pepper(better then it souns) or sweetpotato and molassas.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-10-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Each to his own, I guess.

Here's my favorite pancake recipe, which is decidedly not weird:

BUTTERMILK PANCAKES

1 egg
¾ cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons melted butter (cooled)
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup flour
½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries (optional)

1. Beat egg in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended.

2. Add buttermilk and mix well

3. Add melted butter and mix well.

4. Add sugar and salt and mix well.

5. Add baking soda and mix until just blended in.

6. Add flour and mix until just blended in; batter will be lumpy.

7. If batter seems rather thick, add a little buttermilk to thin it.

8. Add blueberries, if using.

9. Heat griddle or large frying pan over moderate heat, and grease lightly. Use about ¼ cup of batter for each pancake, turning once only.

Serve with warm maple syrup.
Makes about 8 pancakes.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:46 AM   #7
DC Grandma

here is the wierd part....I ask DH if he wants pancakes..he says " I don;t like pancakes" so then "OK then how about Waffels?" He says " No, I don't like holes in my pancakes" and walks away as he smiles. No wonder muy hair is turning white........Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:55 AM   #8
Head Chef

Goodweed, I can not find my recipe right now for sweedish pancakes. Like I said, I haven't made them in a long time. I will post the recipe as soon as I locate it tho. I know there is alot more egg then regular pancakes and they are really thin. Get back to ya on this.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
Senior Cook

GOODWEED: I've been making your terrific pancakes for over a year now and I think they are the best ever. Don't mess around with the recipe.

P.S. Is it snowing in the UP yet??
Old 09-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I like all weird meals. At least I like to try. Sometimes I just try ones, but sometimes it becomes regular meal for me. :) I will shore try this pancakes. ;)