Wierdest Pancakes Ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
For those new members who have not seen it, here's my from-scratch pancake recipe. The wierd part follows.

World’s Finest Pancakes

These pancakes come out so moist and light that you will never buy a pancake mix again. Enjoy them.

Dry Ingrediants:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Double Acting Baking Powder

Wet Ingrediants:
3/4 cup milk
1 large Egg
3 tbs. Cooking oil
Preheat the griddle. Place the dry ingrediants into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk or mixing spoon. Add the remaining ingrediants and again stir until mixed. Do not stir until all the lumps are gone as this will overmix the batter. There should be small lumps. These will dissapear while cooking the pancakes.
Cook over medium heat until the bubbles close slowly as they rise and pop. Do not cook until the bubbles stay open as this will dry out the pancake. And most importantly, Don’t squish them down with your cake turner or spatula. When they are ready to flip, turn them over and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. If you must cook up enough for a bunch of people, keep them warm by stacking in a large-rectangular cake pan and placing the pan into a 120' oven covered with a clean kitchen towel.
You can add blueberries to the uncooked batter without changing anything else. However, if you add acidic fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, or pineapple, you will need to add ½ tsp. Baking soda to the batter to ballance the acid from the fruit.
The above recipe makes enough pancakes for two people. Yo can easily enlarge the recipe by simply multiplying the ingrediants by the same number. That is, if you double the flour, multiply all other ingrediants by two.

From the Kitchen of Bob Flowers

Weird part.

I've always loved breakfast sausage, with its blend of pork, garlic, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, and sage. My Dad used to spoon sausage grease onto his pancakes, and as a boy, so did I. I don't do that anymore, but still love to splash a bit of syrup on my sausage.

I got the idea that I wanted that flavor from my youth, you know, the sausage grease spooned over-top of the pancakes, before pouring on the syrup. But I didn't want all that fat, just the flavor. So here's what I did.

I took the shakers of cayenne pepper, sage, black pepper, and salt (omitted the garlic), and sprinkled just a bit of each flavor onto the uncooked side of my cooking pancake. I finished cooking and plating it. I poured on a bit of syrup and tried a bite. Teh experiment was an unqualified success. I have succeeded in puting that great breakfast sausage flavor on top of my pancake with none of the grease.

Just thought I'd share in case any of you like that flavor as well.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sounds like a good recipe to me. Well except for the weird part. I also love sweedish pancakes but haven't made them for a long time. Did you ever make those Goodweed?

thumpershere2 said:
Sounds like a good recipe to me. Well except for the weird part. I also love sweedish pancakes but haven't made them for a long time. Did you ever make those Goodweed?

Have never experienced the sweedish pancakes, but love to try pancake recipes. So if you have a recipe to share, send it along. Love making dutch babies. They are so amazing looking and are good with a host of fillings.

And the "weird part", it really tasted great. It was an experiment that worked.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sounds good. I like weird part. I used to do "weird" pancakes like blueberry and black pepper(better then it souns) or sweetpotato and molassas.

Thanks for sharing!

Each to his own, I guess.

Here's my favorite pancake recipe, which is decidedly not weird:

BUTTERMILK PANCAKES

1 egg
¾ cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons melted butter (cooled)
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup flour
½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries (optional)

1. Beat egg in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended.

2. Add buttermilk and mix well

3. Add melted butter and mix well.

4. Add sugar and salt and mix well.

5. Add baking soda and mix until just blended in.

6. Add flour and mix until just blended in; batter will be lumpy.

7. If batter seems rather thick, add a little buttermilk to thin it.

8. Add blueberries, if using.

9. Heat griddle or large frying pan over moderate heat, and grease lightly. Use about ¼ cup of batter for each pancake, turning once only.

Serve with warm maple syrup.
Makes about 8 pancakes.

here is the wierd part....I ask DH if he wants pancakes..he says " I don;t like pancakes" so then "OK then how about Waffels?" He says " No, I don't like holes in my pancakes" and walks away as he smiles. No wonder muy hair is turning white........Dove

Goodweed, I can not find my recipe right now for sweedish pancakes. Like I said, I haven't made them in a long time. I will post the recipe as soon as I locate it tho. I know there is alot more egg then regular pancakes and they are really thin. Get back to ya on this.

GOODWEED: I've been making your terrific pancakes for over a year now and I think they are the best ever. Don't mess around with the recipe. :rolleyes:

P.S. Is it snowing in the UP yet??

I like all weird meals. At least I like to try. Sometimes I just try ones, but sometimes it becomes regular meal for me. :) I will shore try this pancakes. ;)

Drama Queen said:
GOODWEED: I've been making your terrific pancakes for over a year now and I think they are the best ever. Don't mess around with the recipe. :rolleyes:

P.S. Is it snowing in the UP yet??

Well thank you for the compliment. Everyone I've given it to tells me the same thing. I love it when I can give something to someone that brings them years of pleasure. I guess it's become my signature recipe:chef:.

And nope. It only got down to 48 degrees last night, not nearly cold enough for snow. We usually don't get any until at least the end of October. Besides, I got my corn and tomatoes in late this year. I picked my first ripe tomato last Friday, and of course turned it into club sandwiches. I picked two more perfectly ripe tomatoes on Sunday. What became of those tomatoes? Well that's on another post in the discussion topics area.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

whole wheat pancakes

may I add my recipe for whole grain pancakes?...........am gonna anyway!

Here is a TNT recipe for whole grain pancakes. Please note that the mixing technique is a bit different from regular pancakes. This is a very forgiving recipe, it is very difficult to overmix the ingredients. They are a light tasty pancake. My DH eats them plain, I smear on a bit of butter and maple syrup and when I have guests for breakfast, I offer fresh yogurt, sliced fruit, maple syrup, butter and/or my homemade wild black raspberry syrup. This recipe makes 12 pancakes and I use a 1/3 cup measuring cup for the scoop.

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes

2 eggs
1 3/4 cup buttermilk or yogurt
2 cups whole grain flours, any combination that strikes your fancy
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt

2 T. oil

in a smaller bowl, mix the flours, soda, powder and salt. In a larger bowl, beat the two eggs until frothy, and add the buttermilk, mix well. Dump the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until mixed. Add oil, stir again.

Ladle onto hot griddle. When pancakes sides start to stiffen, or bubbles start to appear on the pancake, flip pancake over. Serve immediately, or freeze for later enjoyment.

I currently am using 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 1/3 cup soy flour and 1/3 cup ground up oatmeal and 1/3 cup ground flax seed. You can use all whole wheat flour. Or try 1 cup buckwheat flour and 1 cup ww flour. I believe you could use ground limestone and this recipe would still produce a light pancake:LOL:. j/k

As stated before, the mixing technique is a bit different, and this recipe does not call for any sugar in the pancakes. I make these pancakes every Sat and Sun and whenever I have guests for breakfast. I use over three hundred pounds of whole wheat flour a year and a lot of it goes into these pancakes.

If using yogurt, do not use the whole 1 3/4 cups, the batter would be too stiff.

I regularly freeze the extras and they show up in DH's lunchbox during the week.

bethzaring, your recipe looks very good to me. I'm gonna have to try it. I make a similar recipe for whole-graing pancakes, but add apple sauce to the recipe to give it more moisture. Oh, and your recipe looks like it would make phenominal waffles.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hey weed,

I bought a few waffle makers, the old kind from the 40's, and got dissolutioned with them because I had to add so much oil to the grids, and that is not easy with the hinged top up. I was spraying oil everywhere:(, so I gave up on waffles.

Also this pancake recipes takes additions very well. Am currently adding one chopped apple with a dash of cinnamon....

I made some really wierd pancakes a couple monthes ago at work. It was a cornbread blini, and we used them as a base for some canapes. I basically made a basic cornbread batter, albeit about 10x the normal batch I make at home. Add to that some finely mined green onions, and some crushed red pepper for heat. I poured the batter into squeeze bottles, and used those to dispense enough batter to make a half-dollar- to silver-dollar-sized blini. They were actually rather good, but I can't seem to find the recipe.

Hah! I found the recipe! I had to make a small batch at work, and remembered that I had never checked my Mod 1, Hardcopy Hard Drive, namely, the piece of paper that I wrote the recipe down on and stored in my wallet!

Here we go. Remember, this is a commercial-size recipe, and really, really is BIG. Just scale it down by a factor of 10 or 12, and you should get an approximate quantity for home use.

Corn Blinis
Yields: 600 - 700 pieces, 3 ¾ gal batter

5 qt cornmeal
5 qt flour
Crushed red pepper, TT
1/3 c baking soda
2/3 c baking powder
Salt
1 ½ gal milk
20 eggs
2 c clarified butter
~ 2 qt green onions, sliced THIN
Oil

Muffin method: sift together the dry ingredients. Mix together the milk, and eggs, then mix the liquids with the dry ingredients until the batter just starts to come together. Add the green onions and clarified butter, and mix just until the batter is smooth.
Preheat a skillet or griddle (tilt skillet works good for this quantity). Pour the batter into large squeeze bottles. Oil the cooking surface, and squeeze small, quarter- or half-dollar-sized blinis from the squeeze bottle. Cook until bubbles start to form, then carefully flip, and cook until set. Remove to a sheet pan to cool.
NOTES: Once cool, the blinis can be shingled together into rows on a sheet pan for easier storage. Unused blinis can be frozen for 3 months. Unused batter can be stored for a day or two.

AllenMI said:
Hah! I found the recipe! I had to make a small batch at work, and remembered that I had never checked my Mod 1, Hardcopy Hard Drive, namely, the piece of paper that I wrote the recipe down on and stored in my wallet!

Here we go. Remember, this is a commercial-size recipe, and really, really is BIG. Just scale it down by a factor of 10 or 12, and you should get an approximate quantity for home use.

Corn Blinis
Yields: 600 - 700 pieces, 3 ¾ gal batter

5 qt cornmeal
5 qt flour
Crushed red pepper, TT
1/3 c baking soda
2/3 c baking powder
Salt
1 ½ gal milk
20 eggs
2 c clarified butter
~ 2 qt green onions, sliced THIN
Oil...

Wow! My last child just moved out last night (bitter-sweet evening. I'm gonna miss her, but she will become a wonderful young adult out West with her brother.). I don't think my wife and I could do justice to that recipe (of course even when all my kids were home, and all teens, I don't think we could have done that recipe justice.:ROFLMAO: ).

This one shouldn't be too hard to scale down. And it might be an interesting recipe for one of our Church Pancake Breakfasts.

Goodweed, here's an easy tip:

Just make a normal batch of cornbread. Add to that some finely sliced green onions (green part only), and a little crushed red pepper, and you're good to go.

This recipe I posted is kind of sweet, but it used as a base for canapes. I'm making really, really, small pancakes, a.k.a. a "Blini". If you leave some of the sugar out, and make them a little bigger, you could do well serving these with a good bowl of chili, or as an interesting bread for any South West or Mexican food.

AllenMI said:
Goodweed, here's an easy tip:

Just make a normal batch of cornbread. Add to that some finely sliced green onions (green part only), and a little crushed red pepper, and you're good to go.

This recipe I posted is kind of sweet, but it used as a base for canapes. I'm making really, really, small pancakes, a.k.a. a "Blini". If you leave some of the sugar out, and make them a little bigger, you could do well serving these with a good bowl of chili, or as an interesting bread for any South West or Mexican food.

Thanks:chef:. I wonder what it would taste like if I substituted Masa Flour for ordinary corn meal. I bet it would be a very unique flavor. I love regular cornbread and am now going to have to make some tonight, with your additional ingredients. I have some fresh peppers that are just ripe on my pepper plants. It will be a good way to use them.

The masa experiment, well that will have to be done another day. I'll let everyone know how that turns out when it happens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom