"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Between my parants and brothers (all RIP), I'm the only one not born in Maryland (native Floridian here). I remember live blues purchased by the dozen and bushel, but for some reason here in SE Florida, they are sold by the pound. Except for softshells which are sold individually.

I lucked out one day at an oriental market, they had live Dungeness. Man were they great steamed!

Craig

Old 05-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
Cook

Live Dungeness is fantastic. Which oriental market was that? I've had it at an Oriental Market in Vancouver and it's night and day better than previously frozen Dungeness which has a bitter taste to it - salty from the preserves. I wonder if the Rustic Inn cooks them live or not. I think maybe not because they only offer them as garlic Dungeness and of course that masks the taste. The beautiful natural taste of live crab is something to behold. A big fat Dungeness crab has a really good meat to work ratio.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitecookbook View Post
Live Dungeness is fantastic. Which oriental market was that? I've had it at an Oriental Market in Vancouver and it's night and day better than previously frozen Dungeness which has a bitter taste to it - salty from the preserves. I wonder if the Rustic Inn cooks them live or not. I think maybe not because they only offer them as garlic Dungeness and of course that masks the taste. The beautiful natural taste of live crab is something to behold. A big fat Dungeness crab has a really good meat to work ratio.
The place is in western Pines, but they stopped carrying the dungies. Hence, the reason why I only lucked out one day. I've had them in San Fran and Vancouver, BC freshly done. Your right about that funky taste of the frozen ones. I've had them done as chili crab, Thai style. Which weren't too bad.

Craig
Old 05-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #14
Cook

I used to think they were a cruel joke. So much meat but you had to accept the funky taste vs. blue crabs, snow crabs etc. But then I had a hunch the live ones wouldn't have that funky taste and sure enough that was the case. Just a lot of meat and tasty too. Can't go wrong with that. I feel like i HAVE seen them live in tanks somewhere here in SoFla though. Maybe at an Asian restaurant or an oriental market. In Vancouver they had them for only $5.99 a pound live. Hard to beat that.

Tags
None