"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Anchovies as flavour enhancer

Reference Caesar salad and the use of anchovies as a flavour enhancer.

These, as we all know,are frequently used as flavour enhancers, that 'je ne sais quoi' that makes your sauces taste appetising. In Italy, we use them all the time, and they are also a major part in Provencal dishes in France as well as in the Italian Riviera, where anchovies are used in 'La Sardenaiera', a kind of pizza featuring tomatoes, anchovies and locally grown olives (olive Taggiasche). In France, a popular dish is 'l'anchoiade', a pizza bianca (pizza bianca is a pizza without tomatoes) consisting of onions, garlic, olives and anchovies. All over Italy anchovies are used in fish dishes, meat dishes, antipasti, and hundreds of dishes where their presence gives an extra zoom to the flavour. Where I live, we make an anchovy dip called 'Bagna Cauda', a dish of anchovies, garlic and butter all melted together, which is a dip for raw vegetables. Do you use them like this in the USA? I would be very curious to know!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Old 04-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Years ago I read an article where professional chef's disclosed their secret ingredient. Anchovies was on top of the list. I don't think very many home cooks use them, though. I never see them called for in recipes. I make a chicken thigh and tomato stew that calls for anchovies, but it's from an Italian cookbook.

Here's an article from Chowhound:

The Secret Ingredient Every Chef Uses - Chowhound

Old 04-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Anchovies are one of several "secret ingredients" that boost flavors. Of course, MSG and ingredients that contain it, soy sauce, mushrooms, tomato/paste, worcestershire sauce.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
Master Chef

Interesting info Di, and I can't think of a typical American dish that calls for anchovies.
I'd agree with the first statement in that piece 10 speed...
Quote:
There are those who love anchovies, those who hate anchovies, and those who only think they hate anchovies.
I personally don't use them often unless called for in a recipe. Anchovy paste in a tube is very handy. Most times you don't know the flavor is even there, only that hmmm factor of tasty. I'm one who likes some discreet anchovy bits on my pizza, or even in salads.
I wouldn't just pop one in my mouth for a snack though.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
Master Chef

I use anchovy paste in all my oil and vinegar salad dressings. Especially good in a cabbage and carrot salad (AKA No Mayo Cole slaw). I love chopped anchovies in my Caesar salad and whole filets on my Greek salad and antipasto. I make an olive salad with chopped filets also. My Uncle LOVED my olive salad BUT the man who says he will Never eat fish not even canned tuna could tell anchovies were in it. LOL

Oh btw I also like to add green olive paste to my oil and vinegar dressings.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I use anchovy paste in all my oil and vinegar salad dressings. Especially good in a cabbage and carrot salad (AKA No Mayo Cole slaw). I love chopped anchovies in my Caesar salad and whole filets on my Greek salad and antipasto. I make an olive salad with chopped filets also. My Uncle LOVED my olive salad BUT the man who says he will Never eat fish not even canned tuna could tell anchovies were in it. LOL

Oh btw I also like to add green olive paste to my oil and vinegar dressings.
Good example of "and those who only think they hate anchovies."

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Good example of "and those who only think they hate anchovies."
LOL Yup!!
Old 04-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I'll eat the salty little flavorful buggers right out of the can if I have one lying around. I use them in everything I sounds like it could use them. If I don't use the rest of the can I get to eat them up later.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

We have an old Italian Restaurant here about three minutes from my home. The first time my girlfriend and I ordered an antipasti salad, they sent it out with anchovies on it. We were going to send it back, but decided to try it. Those little buggers were so salty, we could not finish any of the salad that was under them. I used to keep a tube of the paste on hand when I made my own Sunday gravy. But now I no longer make it and haven't had pasta in the house now for at least five months.

I now only go to this restaurant maybe twice a year with my daughter and her husband. They have never been fans of an antipasti salad and they are just too big for me to eat by myself. But if the occasion ever arises again where I do order one, I will emphasize "very emphatically, no anchovies."
Old 04-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I use anchovy paste and anchovies all the time in gravies, sauces, soups and other things. I don't use recipes very often, but I use a lot of anchovies. I also use a lot of miso and fish sauce for the umani they bring to a dish.

Tags
None