"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Ancient mid-Atlanic tuna salad

this is primarily for us old geezers - if you remember eating tuna salad in the '50's-60's
altho, if you're just 12 years old and have completed a study on the topic, chime in.

today's tuna salad just does not taste the same. why that & how do I make the old stuff?

tuna fish salad has changed. now, there's typically a limited number of ingredients:

the tuna fish
the mayo and/or other white creamy stuff
diced onion
diced celery
salt
pepper

one can guild the dish with olives, chives, shallots, pimento, green/red/yellow pepper - on and on - but does any of that seriously change the taste? I have the impression it would be a minor impact - and I'm pretty sure the tuna sandwiches they fixed at my elementary school were not snobbied upscale with shallots . . .

the mayo (or other) is likely a major factor. thinking back, Hellmans (East Coaster here....) is the only name brand left standing. anyone know if Hellmans has changed a bunch over the years? everybody has a different preference - I've tried others based on posts like "I hate Brand X but Brand Y is excellent" - and been disappointed, sometimes sent to gagging . . . .

with the eat healthy and live forever craze today, most tuna is packed in water. this was not previously the case - tuna was oil packed. can anyone speak to the delicious factor of oil vs water packed tuna?
the fish itself - bunches of different descriptions. is this marketing hype or real taste differences?

albacore, yellowfin, skipjack, and tongol - what was the ancient 1950's stuff? and what did we get fed in 1950's?

.... which drags out even to the late 1960's - Philadelphia street corner deli's making tuna subs - outflippingstanding compared to today's crop.

I've read through any number of "tests" - and tried some of the recommendations - and obviously they didn't go to elementary school with me....

my lunch ladies would be in their 90's+ at this point - anyone have any clues on "mid-Atlantic" regional tuna fish preps from the period?

Old 08-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

My mom is in her 70s and grew up in Virginia. I'll ask her if she knows. Btw, I always make tuna salad with chopped dill pickles. I think that makes a big difference in the flavor. I'll ask her if it was made that way when she was little.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ancient mid-Atlanic tuna salad

I've said it before, those elementary school lunch ladies knew their stuff. My great aunt was a lunch lady, and one of the best cooks ever, both at home and in the cafeteria.

I think tuna salad is best made with tuna in oil. I prefer Hellmann's mayo, with sweet pickle relish.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Chunk light tuna in vegetable oil was the norm. I remember my first taste packed in water and I was underwhelmed. Now I buy only tuna packed in olive oil as "vegetable" oil is usually canola oil and canola is inflammatory.

Our tuna salads had chopped tomatoes, capers, red bell peppers, chopped onions, celery, chopped dill pickles, chopped black or green olives and were served on lettuce. Bread on the side. Not sure if Mayo or Miracle whip was involved...Dad was always partial to Sandwich Spread...anything really as long as it did not look like Mayo.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ancient mid-Atlanic tuna salad

Did they have canola oil in the '50s? I couldn't read then.

Am thinking it may have been generic vegetable oil, maybe corn oil? I do recall Mom using the Kraft sandwich spread.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Did they have canola oil in the '50s? I couldn't read then.

Am thinking it may have been generic vegetable oil, maybe corn oil? I do recall Mom using the Kraft sandwich spread.
Then it was corn oil, today it is canola, cottonseed and/or soybean oils...all of which can cause inflammation (arthritis).
Old 08-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hmm. Good to know!

I remember the tuna casserole moreso than tuna salad sammies in school.

I remember seeing the gigantic industrial cans of tuna, green beans, cream of something soups. Those lunch ladies weren't only great cooks, they were weight lifters!

A friend recently came out of retirement to become a LL for a preschool. Her creations are amazing, and she's loving her new job.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:09 PM   #8
Sous Chef

...Then it was corn oil, today it is canola, cottonseed and/or soybean oils...all of which can cause inflammation (arthritis).

which is better than the GM corn oil growing you a third eye.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH grew up in PA. He's a bit older than I. He recalls tuna in sunflower oil back in the day. He also lived 2 blocks away from his elementary school, so went home for lunch.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't remember ever having tuna salad sandwiches from the school cafeteria. My mum made the best tuna salad that I tasted as a kid. I still make tuna salad her way and I think it tastes the same.

Tags
salad, tuna