"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Cook

Asian inspired Salmon

I'm looking for some recommendations on a recipe/menu for an asian inspired meal with Salmon. I was thinking of doing an asian flavored salmon (a soy sauce base) over udon noodles with spinach.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I sometimes cook salmon in a foil packet with garlic, ginger, scallions, soy, oyster sauce and wine.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Head Chef

That sounds good Andy.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Master Chef

You may like to look into Miso or Teriyaki-glazed salmon. Lots of good recipes out there, very easy to put together, & very tasty. And works well with noodles. Here's my favorite side to pair with it. While I use ramen noodles, udon would work as well. And you could certainly substitute spinach for the zucchini - it's the contrast in colors & flavors that's important.

BREEZY SESAME ZUCCHINI CARROT RAMEN NOODLES

1 small/medium zucchini
1 medium carrot
1 package Ramen noodle soup mix
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Aprox. 1 teaspoon (about 1”) peeled & grated fresh ginger
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Soy sauce to taste
Vegetable oil
Hot sesame oil (or regular, if desired)

Wash & trim zucchini; trim & peel carrot. Grate, shred, or julienne slice both.

Discard soup/seasoning packet from Ramen noodles (or save for another use). Cook noodles according to package directions & drain.

In a medium/large skillet, heat a thin coating of vegetable oil & sauté squash & carrot until just barely tender. Add ginger & garlic & stir a few times. Add drained noodles & combine gently. Add crushed red pepper flakes & soy sauce to taste & gently combine again. Serve with a drizzle of hot (or regular) sesame oil on top.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Cook

Alright, I know it is winter now in Chicago, but if you are somewhere warm and have a grill, you have to try this Asian-Grilled Salmon recipe!! I made it during a party in Summer and everyone loves it! ahh, can't wait for summer to come again!
Old 01-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I know I'm late to this thread, but...

You could make a simple marinade with soy sauce, vermouth or dry sherry (I prefer dry vermouth but in this instance I think the dry sherry will lend the proper Asian flavor), brown sugar, ginger, garlic, a bit of sesame oil, spring/green onions, sesame seeds.

I'd marinate for maybe 1 hour OR you can reduce this mixture and use it as a glaze when cooking. I would prefer marinating because the sugars will tend to burn before the fish gets done.

Keep some of this marinade out for tossing with some Udon noodles, or rice stick noodles, or some other Asian style noodle you like.

Steamed snow peas or even edamame can be tossed into the noodles or served on the side.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None