"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Australian fish help

So I can go down the local fish and chip shop and buy a filet of fish for $5 battered and deep fried. Or I can cook my own at home with the help of the other thread I started.

Our budget is not huge and fish can get expensive. I walked down the road from work today to a seafood store and spotted some prics like $25/kg etc.

How much does a regular filet weigh from a take away, any ideas? So I can work out the dinner cost to work out.

At $25 per kilo and needing probably 3 decent filets. What would be a nice fish to look at as an option to bring the price in at a comparable price to three take away bought filets? So about $15 for three filets.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Sous Chef

A honest F & C shop will cut at 100 grams per piece but I average @ 9 pieces per kg., so you can afford to buy a reasonable quality fish and come out in front. If a fish shop was paying $25 a kg for fillet they would be charging at least $7.50 a piece.

The vast majority of F & C shops use imported fish now days because it's much cheaper.
----------

---------------------
How are we going, are you OK for oil types, temps, batter mix, etc

Old 06-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Cook

So basically, I saw some barramundi for I think, $27 a kilo. If I was to get a filet of this that weighed in at 100 grams I would be paying something like $2.70 for the piece of fish.

Though most fish shops sell their pieces of fish in larger filets, but even double will be only 5 bucks a piece.

Cool!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Code:
I saw some barramundi for I think, $27 a kilo
That is to cheap for wild caught Barramundi, you should be looking at about $39kg retail, so ask if it is wild caught and not fresh water Barra or even Nile Perch as some like to use. Just the same, fish like your local Snapper or Dory etc are nice fish down your way, if you are going to buy our QLD fish like the Barra it will be expensive. If you want, throw a few names at me of what's available.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I will have to go have a bit of a look at my local fish outlet to see what they havem certainly they have snapper and some tuna varieties, mullet obviously, I spotted some yellow jacket also at the shop in sydney.

Tags
None