"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-29-2014, 02:44 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Clambake at your house? How do you do that?

Clambake for me is a beach event.
It's one thing to have it as a beach event when the entire eastern shore of your state IS a beach! But you have to get creative when we live in OH. Besides, from what Andy said, it sounds like you are limited to a specific area during a specific time period. Either that, or you do it when you want, where you want, and make sure you have a look-out keeping watch for the police!

If you have it at a home/lodge/metropark picnic shelter you can have it when you want on (mostly) your own terms. No alcohol allowed in the public parks. Since we held it annually at a residence we could start when we wanted, party as late as we wanted, and drink on-premise. I suppose if we had really wanted to cook those babies in the sand someone would have trucked in 3 tons of sand. After all, the street we live on now did just that for our "Beach Party" block party one year. After all, the kids needed to be able to build sand castles! Seriously, there was a huge pile of sand in the cul-de-sac that had no homes in it.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:52 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

did the town or developer know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Either that, or you do it when you want, where you want, and make sure you have a look-out keeping watch for the police!.
nevermind...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:04 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I "swam" in Lake Erie once. In the middle of summer. I didn't get warm for days.
How warm is the water in the Chesapeake Bay? I remember there were a few summers when we still lived in OH that the lake temperature reached the upper 70s. That is measured about 3 miles out at the water intake "crib" for Cleveland's water supply. In July, 2012, the temperature was measured at 80. The water at the beaches is even warmer.

The first time I camped in New England was an August. Our first night was in CT, at Hammonasset Beach. My intentions were to take a quick dip in Long Island sound in the morning in lieu of a shower. Whoo! That water was snappy-cold!
Old 09-29-2014, 03:09 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

so that's how ladies describe submerging their private parts in freezing water...

cool.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:34 AM   #25
Master Chef

Don't get your knickers in a twist, bt. I didn't go any deeper than the ankles.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:36 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

oh, i thought i'd made a breakthrough in understanding anatomy.

nevermind.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #27
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
How warm is the water in the Chesapeake Bay? I remember there were a few summers when we still lived in OH that the lake temperature reached the upper 70s. That is measured about 3 miles out at the water intake "crib" for Cleveland's water supply. In July, 2012, the temperature was measured at 80. The water at the beaches is even warmer.

The first time I camped in New England was an August. Our first night was in CT, at Hammonasset Beach. My intentions were to take a quick dip in Long Island sound in the morning in lieu of a shower. Whoo! That water was snappy-cold!
The bay gets into he 80s in the summer.

When I swam in Lake Erie it was at Edgewater Park.

Tags
recipe

Aw, clam up! Who woulda thunk? :huh: [URL="http://www.cleveland.com/food/index.ssf/2014/09/why_cleveland_is_a_fall_clamba.html#incart_m-rpt-2"]Northeast Ohio is the clambake capital of the country...in September and October.[/URL] 3 stars 1 reviews