"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
View Poll Results: Do you prefer sushi salmon or sushi tuna?
Salmon 7 70.00%
Tuna 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2006, 12:18 AM   #11
Head Chef

It should be smoked salmon paired with the cream cheese ... I can't imagine it with raw.

I could live on sushi!!! I like simple shashimi and nigiri the most although I can't resist a good spicy tuna roll either.

Z

Old 06-19-2006, 12:34 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i've seen a roll with salmon and cream cheese, called brooklyn rolls or philly rolls. never tried one.

i'd say 19.75 was a little expensive for what you had, but it all depends on the quality. i usually get about 10 pieces of sushi or 13 pieces of sashimi, a tuna roll or california roll, and a hand roll for about $20.
btw, what are teryaki sticks?

the "dipping in boiling oil", or it may have just been hot water/broth, is called shabu shabu.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:03 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Brain
Which tuna is better: yellow or red?
By yellow, if you mean yellowfin tuna, yellowfin tuna has red meat. If you're asking to compare yellowfin and big eye tuna, which both have red flesh, I prefer big eye because the meat tends to be fattier which usually means you're get better flavor.

If you're asking about hamachi which is a yellowtail kingfish and not a tuna, then I prefer hamachi.

What's better? Well, it depends on personal preference but as a general rule, the fattier the tuna is the better it will be (and more expensive).
Old 06-19-2006, 08:08 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i've seen a roll with salmon and cream cheese, called brooklyn rolls or philly rolls. never tried one.

i'd say 19.75 was a little expensive for what you had, but it all depends on the quality. i usually get about 10 pieces of sushi or 13 pieces of sashimi, a tuna roll or california roll, and a hand roll for about $20.
btw, what are teryaki sticks?

the "dipping in boiling oil", or it may have just been hot water/broth, is called shabu shabu.
Bucky, the teriyaki sticks were probably either teriyaki chicken or beef pieces on skewers, also commonly called yakitori in many restaurants.

I agree that it was most likely broth that was given, mainly due to safety and liability issues. But I don't understand why they would have sushi that would have you dip it in the broth anyway. That doesn't make sense unless it was just a gimmick type dish.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh
It should be smoked salmon paired with the cream cheese ... I can't imagine it with raw.
I don't want to gross you out, but the kind of smoked salmon which is usually used in sushi (lox type) IS raw... I can relate to your sentiment though, I usually stay away from raw flesh of anything, but smoked salmon is one of the few items that I make exception of... along with good prosciutto crudo and speck... and yes, if it is very fresh and prepared well, I can handle tuna sashimi, too...
Old 06-19-2006, 03:06 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
I don't want to gross you out, but the kind of smoked salmon which is usually used in sushi (lox type) IS raw... I can relate to your sentiment though, I usually stay away from raw flesh of anything, but smoked salmon is one of the few items that I make exception of... along with good prosciutto crudo and speck... and yes, if it is very fresh and prepared well, I can handle tuna sashimi, too...
I think by raw, Zereh meant fresh sliced salmon which hasn't been smoked, cured, etc.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #17
Master Chef

Yes, the salmon is smoked and they are Philidelphia rolls.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:07 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks i.c., it probably is yakitori.

and real hamachi rocks!!!! buttery and rich when it's fresh.

i think the only other fishes that are as good when at their best are white tuna and toro.
i still haven't gotten a good answer as to what type of fish that i've been served called white tuna that was crisp, sweet...really delicious. i doubt it's a common type of tuna, if any at all.

hmmm, i wonder if the toro i've had was really the prized belly as it's technically supposed to be, or just a cut of another fattier fish like big eye. with what i've paid, it had better have been chu-toro, or o-toro.

i like elfie's (you need to make an appearance woman! heute!) description of maguro, that it's a clean taste like fresh spring water, or a fresh breath of cold air.

oh, i've seen both kinds of rolls - smoked and raw salmon with cream cheese in japanese restaurants. the combination of smoked salmon and cream cheese is obvious, oy!
raw ain't so bad either. give it a go...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:47 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Ah, but what about ebi odori? There's the acme in sushi. Yum!

An experience to die for.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:25 AM   #20
Master Chef

I voted for tuna, because Tekka Maki (rolled tuna sushi) is definitely my husband's & my hands-down favorite out of the rolls. The spicy tuna rolls are also a favorite.

In addition, tuna in Nigiri Sushi form (pieces of fish sitting atop a rice oval) are a favorite as well, although I do also like marinated mackeral, cooked freshwater eel, octopus, ark shell, & clam.

Over the years, & especially while working in Manhattan, I've eaten many, many different varieties of sushi, & so far there are only 2 that I don't care for - raw squid & raw sea urchin. With both it's not so much the taste as the texture. The raw squid, even when scored well, has always been too chewy, making me feel like a street cat eating fish scraps on a dock; and the texture of raw sea urchin reminds me too much of raw egg yolk, & undercooked eggs are something I just can't stomach.

Tags
None