"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
View Poll Results: Do you prefer sushi salmon or sushi tuna?
Salmon 7 70.00%
Tuna 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-18-2006, 04:03 AM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Banana Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
Awesome sushi place.

I went to a sushi bar today for only the second time in my life (first expirence was baaaad, I spilled orange eggs all over myself and hated the food). Today's though wasn't a traditional one at all. Everyone in the little resturant sat around this big rectangular bar. There was a flowing water canal in front of us and on that canal floated dishes that were perched atop flat wooden little boards that were attatched to each other by chains. The dishes were in five different colors to indicate what price they were (from $1.75 to I think $3.25 for a larger one). If you saw something float by that you wanted, you could just grab it when it floated in front of you and eat it. The chef soon replaces it with a fresh dish identicle to it. When you finish you just take all your empty dishes to the register to pay. It was really great because everything came in pretty small portions (except the cheesecake, hehe) so you could get a taste of everything. My boyfriend and I got four pieces of pacific northwest salmon nigiri (is it still called nigiri w/out the rice?), two pieces of tuna nagiri, a reeeealy thinly-sliced cucumber salad, two sticks of teriyaki sticks, four mini spicy tuna rolls, two large spider rolls, and a peice of very good cheesecake for $19.75 including tip. That seems like a lot for that amount of money, but I'm no expert. Is that good pricing for sushi?

And post your answer to the poll please!

__________________

__________________
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:32 AM   #2
Sous Chef
 
Banana Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
OK, so I just looked up whats called conveyer belt sushi,and I guess this is exactly that only with water. Good stuff, good stuff. Does anyone know any other methods sushi is served? I think I saw something on TV once where it looked like people were frying their own sushi by dropping it in a boiling pot of oil that came with the meal. Not sure if thats abnormal or not. More on this one, it had somewhat unique ice cream flavors as well like green tea (even though thats becoming more popular now I hear) and some odd but cheap dishes like that with nothing but endame beans on it. I'd like to go back there some time.
__________________

__________________
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I have never been to one of the conveyer belt places, but I like the idea of them. Of course some people will tell you that those are one of the lowest forms of sushi (next to supermarket sushi). I do not know how true that really is though. I love the idea of having them float on water. I bet that was a great experience!

Nigiri is fish on top of a little "finger" of rice. What you were decribing, just fish, is called sashimi. Great stuff!

As far as other types of sushi places, there is a place by my parents that I am in love with. It is a susch buffet. At first I was sceptical as buffet as typically not that great. Once I read about this place though it made a lot of sense. The reason buffets are usually pretty bad is because you are trying to keep hot food hot and fresh at the same time. No an easy task. With sushi though you are trying to keep it cold. Much easier. This place has your typical buffet setup witht the sushi chefs behind the buffet table. The sushi is placed on shilled tiles that sit on top of some sort of cooling device (could be ice, can't see under then though to tell). The sushi is constantly replaced. Anything that has been on the tile for 15 minutes is taken away and trashed. This rarely happens though because the chefs can see what the volume of the restaurant is and make the right amount accordingly. The sushi is not the best I have ever had, but it is definitly very good. I love the idea of paying one flat price and getting to eat as much as I like. Sushi can be very expensive and if I were paying piece by piece I could easily eat over $100 in one sitting.

Here is a link to the restaurant. Check out the menu and if you are ever anywhere that they have a location, stop in.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
I don't like tuna enough to eat it like this. I love the salmon though with cream cheese. I like California rolls and Philidelphia rolls.
__________________
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
I prefer tuna but then it all depends on the quality of fish. At some places, I'm not even going to eat their maguro sushi; I'd rather eat their spicy tuna because the quality of their maguro is crap.

Some conveyor belt sushi places are decent, but when you go there you need to put everything into perspective. If you go there expecting to pay their prices and get great quality sushi then you're in the wrong mindset. You can get good quality sushi but it's not going to be like ones of those small, 20 seat Japanese restaurants.
__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Oh I forgot to answer your poll question. My asnwer is...I can't answer. To me it is like apples and oranges. I love them both so much, but like IC said, it really depends on the quality.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Banana Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
Which tuna is better: yellow or red?
__________________
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
Sous Chef
 
Banana Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I have never been to one of the conveyer belt places, but I like the idea of them. Of course some people will tell you that those are one of the lowest forms of sushi (next to supermarket sushi). I do not know how true that really is though. I love the idea of having them float on water. I bet that was a great experience!

Nigiri is fish on top of a little "finger" of rice. What you were decribing, just fish, is called sashimi. Great stuff!

As far as other types of sushi places, there is a place by my parents that I am in love with. It is a susch buffet. At first I was sceptical as buffet as typically not that great. Once I read about this place though it made a lot of sense. The reason buffets are usually pretty bad is because you are trying to keep hot food hot and fresh at the same time. No an easy task. With sushi though you are trying to keep it cold. Much easier. This place has your typical buffet setup witht the sushi chefs behind the buffet table. The sushi is placed on shilled tiles that sit on top of some sort of cooling device (could be ice, can't see under then though to tell). The sushi is constantly replaced. Anything that has been on the tile for 15 minutes is taken away and trashed. This rarely happens though because the chefs can see what the volume of the restaurant is and make the right amount accordingly. The sushi is not the best I have ever had, but it is definitly very good. I love the idea of paying one flat price and getting to eat as much as I like. Sushi can be very expensive and if I were paying piece by piece I could easily eat over $100 in one sitting.

Here is a link to the restaurant. Check out the menu and if you are ever anywhere that they have a location, stop in.
Yum! That place looks incredible they have a HUGE menue, its amazing if they can keep everything just 15 minutes fresh. Reading some of their desserts.... almond jell-o? Red bean cheesecake? Exotic. I. Want. That. Food.
__________________
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:35 PM   #9
Sous Chef
 
Banana Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
I prefer tuna but then it all depends on the quality of fish. At some places, I'm not even going to eat their maguro sushi; I'd rather eat their spicy tuna because the quality of their maguro is crap.

Some conveyor belt sushi places are decent, but when you go there you need to put everything into perspective. If you go there expecting to pay their prices and get great quality sushi then you're in the wrong mindset. You can get good quality sushi but it's not going to be like ones of those small, 20 seat Japanese restaurants.
Yeah, I know it wasn't goumet sushi. I really want to try some of the good stuff now, I'm thinking about going to Sansei (I think thats what it was called) in Hawaii.
__________________
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:35 PM   #10
Sous Chef
 
Banana Brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
I don't like tuna enough to eat it like this. I love the salmon though with cream cheese. I like California rolls and Philidelphia rolls.
Salmon with cream cheese... sushi? Is there such a thing?
__________________

__________________
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.