Bake not Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I love fried fish. I have this really simple recipe for fried fish with carrot/tomato sauce recipe. I'd like to make for oh, about 80 to a 100 people. It is just crazy amount of frying. I am wondering if fish can be oven fried so to speak. Basically baked. Recipe calls for fish to be seasoned and then dredged in flour before frying. Any true and tested suggestions please?

Charlie,

Can the fish market, where you buy the fish, fry it and deliver it to you so all you have to do is warm it in the oven and top it with the sauce? A couple of our local churches do it that way when they have fried fish fundraisers during Lent. Good luck!

Last edited:
Nope, not going to work in my case. We do not even have fish market here. Ah, maybe couple.

If you dredge in flour, then egg wash, then panko or regular bread crumbs, or corn meal, or farina, then yes, you can simply bake the fish as the crumbs will crisp and brown from the hot air of the oven..

If you use only flour, you will need to get a large pot of oil going, dredge and fry for only a couple of minutes, transfer to baking sheets, then bake. The coating needs to be nudged toward browning with a little hot oil first.

Don't forget to season the flour, or bread crumbs.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ok, thank you. I'll have to think what to do with that.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom