"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 11-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Baking frozen salmon question

My wife always like me to have cooked salmon ready for her. We bought it fresh and froze it.

Can I just pop frozen salmon fillets in the oven? What would be a good temp.
I like to cook it slow as I do not always know when she will be back. I was thinking slow would be better since it is making quite a change from frozen.

Thanks for all the help group. I asked two questions earlier and got quick responses. I suppose I should send out a specific thanks to those that have responded.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Master Chef

IMHO - do your wife and the salmon a favor - don't try to bake it frozen. By the time the middle is cooked the top will be overcooked and the bottom will be undercooked and soggy.

If you have a microwave with a defrost setting - you could use the lowest and shortest setting - if the fillet is 16oz - set it for 14oz and wait 5 extra minutes after it cycles off. Then - you could bake it. Will not be as good as if you thawed it overnight in the refrigerator - but better than tossing a frozen "salmon-sicle" into the oven.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Head Chef

Toss the fish into a bowl of cold water. It will defrost amazingly quickly. When I take mine out of the freezer, I leave them in the plastic bag and into the water they go.

When thawed, I cook mine at about 375 for around 15 minutes max. I like to take it out at 131 degrees in the center and let it sit for a few minutes, per Alton Brown's advice. Works quite well! Even a starving wife should be happy waiting 15 minutes for salmon. Have a little appetizer ready for her or something, LOL!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:42 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Pretty
nice of you to cook dinner for her!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Master Chef

I bought 2 pieces of frozen Teriyaki-marinated wild salmon (Safeway's own brand) last week - each about 1-1/2" to 2" thick. The instructions specifically said NOT to defrost them before cooking. Said to place them on a foil-lined baking sheet in a 400-degree oven for 30 minutes.

Came out fabulous - moist, flaky, & flavorful.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

put it one day before cooking out of the freezer into the cooler.
.......Fish defrosting ..not toooo fast!!!!!!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

400 degrees frozen

Just cooked a ~1lb frozen solid salmon filet for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Came out perfect, do defrosting necessary.

Tags
None