Bang Bang Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since we are increasing our flock next weekend, one of the things we have vowed to do is stop buying mayonnaise. I find using my wand blender makes the best mayo. I like to make mine with EVOO and some fresh lemon juice, but I must admit--I've been lazy--I haven't been making mayo very often as of late--I used to make it all the time. I find a cup will keep for quite a while in the fridge. But, I'm looking forward to making various kinds of mayo with our FRESH eggs--chilpolte, jalepeno, curry, etc. Anyone care to share favorite mayo flavors?

chipotle and garlic mayo is one i like a lot.

lemon and thyme is another good one.

Do you use the garlic minced/pressed or do you run the cloves through the juicer and use the juice? What about roasted garlic?

For the lemon and thyme, do you just up the amount of lemon juice when making the mayo or add it later?

roasted garlic probably would be great, but i've only made from raw, more like a tsatsiki sauce. the raw garlic is chopped and scraped into a wet mush with a chef's knife and a bit of medium sea or kosher salt. or you can use a mortar and pestle, starting by grinding dried chipoltes, then raw garic.

for the lemon and thyme, i add zest and a bit of sugar. use meyer lemons if you can get them.

Thanks buckytom! I think I'll do roasted garlic-chilpolte first. I brought in my lemon thyme plant for the winter. It is fairly large--so lemon-thyme and lemon juice (wish that I could find Meyer lemons) will be the other one I'll try, but I do have dried/dehydrated Meyer lemon zest so I could rehydrate some of that--and I might try a bit of maple syrup instead of sugar since we have so much maple syrup--I can already taste the lemon-thyme mayo as the spread on a smoked turkey sandwich!

Last edited:
niquejim said:
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup rice flour(or a little less cornstarch)
1 Tbs kosher or sea salt
1/2 Tbs fresh cracked black pepper
1 lb small peeled shrimp

2 eggs

Oil for frying

Beat the 2 eggs in a bowl and combine the dry ingredients in another bowl. Roll the shrimp in the flour mix, then eggs and back to the flour mix. Fry in batches 2-3 minute @360 until golden, drain well.
Toss in the sauce until coated

sauce: 2/3 cup mayo
1 1/2 TBS Sriracha hot sauce
1 1/2tsp honey

This sounds yummy :) its on my menu for next week

Back
Top Bottom