"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Bang Bang Shrimp

3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup rice flour(or a little less cornstarch)
1 Tbs kosher or sea salt
1/2 Tbs fresh cracked black pepper
1 lb small peeled shrimp

2 eggs

Oil for frying

Beat the 2 eggs in a bowl and combine the dry ingredients in another bowl. Roll the shrimp in the flour mix, then eggs and back to the flour mix. Fry in batches 2-3 minute @360 until golden, drain well.
Toss in the sauce until coated

sauce: 2/3 cup mayo
1 1/2 TBS Sriracha hot sauce
1 1/2tsp honey

Old 07-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Master Chef

Oh yummy. Makes me wish I had a deep fryer. The sauce is similar to one I make a lot for a lot of different foods, and I'd love this. But I hate deep frying.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Wow, this sounds great. Thanks for sharing it. I am going to have to try this soon.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Use the corn starch it's much better...trust me
Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
Use the corn starch it's much better...trust me

+1, much better. More crispy=More better.

This dish is one of the few I really enjoy from those big chain places.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

mmm, this looks good! and it just may be do-able with my little bucket type el cheapo electric deep fryer. i think it's called a "fry daddy" or something.

i bought it to make buffalo wings, but you can only make 3 or 4 wings in it at a time effectively, so by the time you've made enough for a few people, the first ones that were fried are getting cold.

but i think shrimp would fry up much more quickly, and at least a few more at a time.

thanks nique and jim.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:19 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
mmm, this looks good! and it just may be do-able with my little bucket type el cheapo electric deep fryer. i think it's called a "fry daddy" or something.

i bought it to make buffalo wings, but you can only make 3 or 4 wings in it at a time effectively, so by the time you've made enough for a few people, the first ones that were fried are getting cold.

but i think shrimp would fry up much more quickly, and at least a few more at a time.

thanks nique and jim.
I used my dad's "fry daddy" (small bucket, cheapo electric deep fryer) to deep-fry walleye "nuggets" for walleye tacos. I had to do the fish in two batches, but that was okay. Depending on the count/pound of the shrimp, I would think you could do this quite nicely using the fry daddy. Wings, on the other hand, because chicken takes longer to fry to get the internal temp up, might be tricky in that appliance.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Head Chef

will have to take a look at this mini fry-daddy... it sounds really convenient. I often wish I had a little fried crunch texture to a dish - crispy onion rings on a burger, etc - but don't want to do the kitchen work for what amounts to a few small pieces of garnish.

If you swap the measurements of hot sauce & honey, add toasted walnuts into the toss, it's called "Walnut Shrimp" and is also a tasty, sweet dish.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
will have to take a look at this mini fry-daddy... it sounds really convenient. I often wish I had a little fried crunch texture to a dish - crispy onion rings on a burger, etc - but don't want to do the kitchen work for what amounts to a few small pieces of garnish.

If you swap the measurements of hot sauce & honey, add toasted walnuts into the toss, it's called "Walnut Shrimp" and is also a tasty, sweet dish.
Just to say, I have used a few different electric fryers and I've never been happier than when I switched to a pot with oil in it that I set on the gas burner. The results are better and it's less messy. There's just a bit of a learning curve as far as regulating your temps.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

thanks nique and jim.
I've got one of those little fryers also, BT. I hardly ever use it, because, as you say, it's just too small to do much in. I find a Wok to be far superior to any of the deep fryers on the market.

Tags
flour, recipe, shrimp, siracha hot sauce

Bang Bang Shrimp 3/4 cup flour 1/2 cup rice flour(or a little less cornstarch) 1 Tbs kosher or sea salt 1/2 Tbs fresh cracked black pepper 1 lb small peeled shrimp 2 eggs Oil for frying Beat the 2 eggs in a bowl and combine the dry ingredients in another bowl. Roll the shrimp in the flour mix, then eggs and back to the flour mix. Fry in batches 2-3 minute @360 until golden, drain well. Toss in the sauce until coated sauce: 2/3 cup mayo 1 1/2 TBS Sriracha hot sauce 1 1/2tsp honey 3 stars 1 reviews