"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I would cook them using some flavors associated with the "theme" of the salad, whether they get boiled, steamed, grilled, sauted or done ceviche style.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
Master Chef

Two thoughts on making a salad with shrimp that I learned from my mother.

First always chop a handful of the shrimp to get more flavor into the salad and then add the remaining shrimp whole or sliced down the middle to make it appear like you used twice as many shrimp.

Second always make sure that all of the other items in the salad are about half the size of the shrimp you are using. This creates the illusion that the shrimp are larger.

I always think of my mom when I make a macaroni salad!

She was a bandit in many ways!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster
I would boil/poach the shrimp in a pot of water with a lemon wedge, stick of celery, six peppercorns and a bay leaf.
Oh good idea! My baby likes plain cooked shrimp
I usually boil it plain but that's a great idea as I tend to share with her.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
Head Chef

If I'm going to boil them, I use some dark beer and water and add a bay leaf and peppercorns. I also have tossed them on a baking sheet with a little olive oil, s & p and roast them for 8 mins. at 375 deg.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I would boil/poach the shrimp in a pot of water with a lemon wedge, stick of celery, six peppercorns and a bay leaf.
I would agree with Rock here, and let me add I never use precooked shrimp as they have always been cooked too long and are rubbery in my opinion. Nothing is more wonderful than the perfect shrimp, cooked till just the moment they turn totally pink and then plunged into ice water. Perfection.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I like the tiny small shrimps for salads, being that they are always already cooked and rubbery I buy the uncooked but cleaned small shrimps and then dice them myself. I cook them in some broth laced with lemon, bay leaf and
when ready mix them with a small amount of dill and anything else that strikes my fancy.
kadesma
Old 09-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Okay, thanks everybody! You've given me a lot to think about. I can see merits for all of the suggestions, particularly depending on intended use.

I wasn't sure what I was going to cook. When I was shopping I did a bit of impulse buying and bought more shrimp than I usually do, so I had only one meal in mind and will definitely have some leftover. Tonight I'm making Vietnamese spring rolls, but I don't know what I'll use the rest for, maybe in salads.

I decided for this time that steaming would be the best way to go, since I didn't want to induce any oils or fats into my Vietnamese spring rolls. The recipe relies on fresh herbs and a spicy Nuoc Cham dipping sauce to provide flavors. (Ingredients: sugar, water, fish sauce, vinegar, lime juice, minced garlic, minced ginger, minced Thai chilis.)

Although these spring rolls are often served as appetizers I'm planning on having them for dinner. Other than the shrimp and noodles there is no other cooking involved. I'll just make more until I've had enough dinner. I'm sure it will be delicious and very healthful too.

By the way the steaming went quite quickly and practically no labor involved!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
Master Chef

Sounds really good, Greg. I'm still bound and determined to try my hand at homemade Vietnamese spring rolls.

A little late here, but when I cook shrimp it's always either steamed or roasted (usually roasted) and always with the shell on. The shell adds so much shrimpy flavor, in my opinion, and as you say, seasoning can come later. I throw the shells into a bag in the freezer, they come in handy for any seafood chowders in the future.

Looking forward to hearing about your dish.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Buy bay shrimp, already cleaned, cooked and frozen.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
Head Chef

I make shrimp rolls with leftover cooked shrimp. Just like lobster rolls but with shrimp instead.

Tags
cook, shrimp