"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Walleye is the best! (imho) but you will always have bones to deal with. Me, I like it so much it doesn't matter!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:46 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I'm in Plymouth, just outside of the twin cities.

I love walleye too! Very rarely I find bones in it but I've never made it myself either.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

a little fyi: not all fish have bones.

those belonging to the class chondrichthyes (sharks) do not have bones, but a cartilaginous skeleton.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:04 AM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
a little fyi: not all fish have bones.

those belonging to the class chondrichthyes (sharks) do not have bones, but a cartilaginous skeleton.
....if you want to eat shark. It's not bad, but far from my favorite fish.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:10 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Walleye is the best! (imho) but you will always have bones to deal with. Me, I like it so much it doesn't matter!
Did someone say Walleye...?

I CATCH my own fish, CLEAN my own fish, and COOK my own fish. Since there is so much of ME in my fish, I take great pride in presenting MY fish bone-free because of how I clean it. It is checked a final time after thawing from the freezer to insure there are no bones. You simply need to run your hands over the fish on the inside of the fillet to check.

There are a lot of videos on You-Tube about filleting and de-boning fish, you just need to Google them. Everyone cooking fish should be proficient in the knowledge of cleaning fish, if for no other reason than to check the work of the person who originally cleaned the fish.

This Saturday evening I'm cooking and serving Panko breaded walleye for our neighborhood Christmas gathering at our home. Pop on over for a bite...

Oh, and small panfish (bluegills and sunfishes) are among the tastiest fresh water fish you can eat. Yes, they are a pain to clean, but are worth it because of their flavor.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #16
Sous Chef

I like to chew fish bones. I can even eat fish that have lots of bones like Hilsha (Tenualosa ilisha). My father used to call me 'beral' means cat.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #17
Senior Cook

By definition, fish filets are supposed to be boneless but occasionally the fish monger will miss a few. It's very easy to detect them by simply running you hand along the fish. You can either trim them off with a knife or remove them with pliers or tweezers. Tuna and swordfish steaks should always be boneless.

If you have a decent fish market in the area, just ask them to recommend a cut of fish and to check it over carefully to remove all the bones, including any pinbones.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

You are wright joeV, but what is the best manner for filleting, on youtube there are to much videos of the same fishes i think and everyone use a different manner, i've made one FISH FILLETING SITE with filleting videos (40) about the best filleting manners of salt-and fresh water fish. The manners i show in my videos are also using in most of the fish filleting factories.

some filleting video's:

Walleye
mackerel
Tuna

Regards
Old 01-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Monkfish: tasty fish without pinbones, he has only one bigbone in the middle!!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #20
Executive Chef

JoeV, nice 'eyes! While I lived up in MI, we had a walnut-breaded walleye fillet on the menu. Unfortunately, while we lived there, I wasn't into fishing. Now that I'm down here in OK, I got into fishing. Luckily, I can still catch walleyes in some lakes or tailraces. I think the tailrace I normally fish has 'eyes, but I've never fished for them.

Normally I think of 'gills like that as flathead catfish bait. PeppA, on the other hand, wants to eat them. I remember a LOT of folks up in MI eat 'gills.

When I was a kid, I would occasionally clean and cook some 'gills. However, I didn't go to the trouble to fillet them. Just scale the, cut off the head, pull out the dorsal and bottom fins with pliars, clean the innards out, rinse, bread, and cook. Once cooked, pull the fillets off with a fork; they'll slide right off the bones.

I also agree with getting a pair of small pliars to remove pin-bones with. I have a small pair of jeweler's pliars that I keep in my drawer at work to remove pin-bones. I rarely find any in the fish we get, but when I do, it's easily taken care of.

I think cod fillets rarely have bones in them. Whiting fillets don't usually have bones either.

Tags
None