"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question Bones in fish

Can anyone tell me which fish don't have bones? I know tuna steaks are safe...but what else? Orange Roughy? Tilapia?

I'd like to add more fish to my diet but really hate dealing with fish bones.

Hoping to expand my fish shopping to more than just tuna...!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Master Chef

All fish have bones. There are some that the bones are so small, that when cooked, can be eaten. Salmon is one.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Okay, that might have been a stupid question. I mean, which fish have bones that are small enough to eat or which fish, bought in filets, are usually boneless or with really small bones?

Or suggestions for eating more fish without having to deal with bones.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I know you are probably going to pull your hair out with this answer, BUT, even if a fish is in fillet form there is ALWAYS a chance of bones.

I have never found salmon bones pleasant to eat unless you are talking about canned salmon, then they are edible, IMHO.

A fish in steak form should have fewer bones and the bones, due to the way it is cut, should be more to one side, or in the center.

The individually wrapped tilapia found at Sam's have been totally bone free so far.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Master Chef

Salmon have edible bones, I don't care for it though, lol
Most fish that you buy in stores with seafood dept are really good about getting bones out. You can ask them and I will bet they can give you lots of advise. Although, I'm sure if you can wait a little while, you will get plenty here too.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Thanks! I am in MN so we eat a lot of walleye but everything else is flown in and most is frozen. There is a fresh market here but I consider it more special occasion as it's far for me to drive to and also expensive.

I hate sunfish - it has tons and tons of bones. I hate having to pick food out of my mouth while eating...
Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

pull them out

Get a pair of pliers and pull the bones out yourself that's just what they do at the market.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #8
Master Chef

generally speaking, the salt water fish will have one main bone, kind off like a spine and usually it is easy to de-bone it. The fresh water fish has a lot of small bones that comes out of the spine and are hard to pull out. I like ocean perch. But generally speaking fish in our neck of the wood suck. It is never fresh, it is never cheap, well maybe polackh(sp?).
Old 12-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Hey CharlieD, since you are from here too...any recommendations on fish from places like Cub? Coastal Seafoods and Whole Foods are better but I don't frequent them.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #10
Master Chef

Cub is my choice for shopping. I love ocean perch, cat fish is good, tilapia filet, halibut an sea bass are more on expensive site but are an excellent choice no matter how you cook. It more depends on how you cook it rather than type of fish.

P.S. Where in MN are you from?

Tags
None