Breading and Frying Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you will find that doctors recommend fish and chicken for a cholesterol lowering diet. There are different kinds of cholesterol--for example, the filet as opposed to chicken or fish.

Well EVOO will impart a little taste to the fish. It is a flavor that happens to work with with most fish so you could certainly use it. Things like peanut, corn, canola oils are neutral in flavor so you will not notice a taste. They are also less expensive than EVOO.

Uh - you definitely do NOT need to do the egg thing to end up with fabulous fried fish.

Season some plain flour in a Ziplock bag with a little salt, freshly ground pepper or ground red cayenne pepper, & whatever other seasonings suit you. Add your fish filets & gently toss about until coated.

Heat some oil in a skillet until a toss of water sizzles & then cook your fish for about 3-4 minutes on each side depending on thickness.

Enjoy.

although Mario B deep fries in EVOO, it is hard to keep the oil from smoking out your home. I recommend peanut for that job as it has a high smoke point. I do mix evoo and canola for shallow pan frying because I want that flavor. Peanut works well too for that.
I no longer use crisco shortening because of the hydrogenation. I do use natural lard, (not hydrogenated) especially for crusts and dumplings.

I usually like to bread mine with panko (Japanese) Bread Crumbs. Just make an egg wash. 3 eggs and a touch of water mixed together, and then dip them into the panko until coated. Fry.

A wonderful sauce to go on top would be a chipotle sauce.
chipotle
sour cream/mayo
lime juice
cilantro
mix to your taste

Unfortunately for my cholesterol count, fried is my favorite method of cooking fish. Heaven for me is sitting down at a catfish house down south and stuffing my face with crispy catfish, corn bread, and fresh jalopenos, washing it down with a cold beer (if you're in a county that allows it):rolleyes: At home, I usually just dip my fillets in milk and then dredge them in a commercial fish coating such as Fry Magic or Golden Dip't from McCormick's and fry them in peanut oil. If you're looking for a healthier way to cook fish, you may want to try cooking it in an aluminum foil packet in the oven or grill. The method is super easy and extremely addaptable to different ingredients. Simply lay out a sheet of foil, lightly coat with olive oil or cooking spray, place fish fillet on foil and season with your favorite seasonings. You may want to add finely sliced onions, carrots, zuchinni, yellow squash, garlic, mushrooms, ect... and a splash of white wine to the package. Tightly crimp the edges and bake @400 degrees or medium high grill for 10 mins per inch of fish thickness as Andy suggested. And above all, experament with seasonings and flavors that you like! (just make sure that you use less costly pieces of fish).

JohnL:

Frying fish in any vegetable oil doesn't add to your cholesterol, just your fat intake. Properly fried fish is OK once in a while.

I like to do mine in foil in the oven as you suggest. I make it with an Asian influence by adding soy sauce, ginger, scallions and white wine.

Use peanut oil for frying fish.
egg beaten with a little milk
saltine crackers crushed
S/P or lemon pepper
Pat fish dry with paper towel
coat fish with egg wash then crackers
fry.
I fry in a lg frying pan.
The fish comes out nice and brown and crispy and great tasting.

Thanks for the info Andy,
I thought that anything fried would raise my cholesterol.:rolleyes:
I really do enjoy a nice crispy piece of fish now and then.

Firstly, I want to thank everyone again for all their help. I tried making it again tonight and it went much better.
I decided that since I'm trying to cut out as much fat and calories as I can, that I'd try BreezyCooking's suggestion to just skip out the egg part. very helpful. worked great. I used the shake & bake method, which also worked much better than breading by hand.
I also decided that I'd just bake it instead of frying, since it wouldn't really require oil... that is, until I tried to get it off the aluminum-foil!

Does anyone know of anything that works like oil to avoid food sticking to the foil, but which isn't as calorie and fat rich as oil?
(sorry if this is a ridiculous question).

thanks again for all your help!
BoyWithSpoon

The amount of oil it takes to grease your foil is negligible so just do that. The amount of calories and cholesterol in an egg wash is equally negligible, but if you can get the stuff to stick without it it's fine. There is also PAM, of course.

Yeah use just a touch of oil on the foil. You really only need the smallest amount. Just drizzle a drop and then brush it around the oil. The fish will not stick after that.

(Gretchen, please check your Private Messages)

Fish is a good source of Omega 3 oil.

Here's what I tell my sons (25 &27) to do. Ask the fishmonger for a firm fish - ie one that won't break up during cooking. Soft flaky fish are a disaster waiting to happen.

Pat the fish dry with a paper towel. Cut into pieces about 5inchesx3inches. Mix on a plate some plain flour, a sprinkling of dried herbs (like oregano, marjoram, dill) and a little sprinkle of salt. Dip the fish into the flour and press some on.

Heat 3 tablespoons oil (or half butter and half oil) in a pan and when hot place in the fish. If the fish still has its skin on, place the skin side down first.

After about 3 minutes, check that the underside is golden brown. Turn the fish and cook the other side. Fish is done when you poke it with a fork and it separates into flakes.

Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and a nice salad.

This method will give a crispy crust and is from the school of KISS (keep it simple, stupid) school of cooking.

Plain, simple, great. To tart it up, serve with tartare sauce.

May you have a long and happy life in the kitchen!

Your best bet is to use some oil - just sparingly & of the "good" variety. For both my baking & broiler pans I use either a canola or olive oil spray, or just some poured on a paper towel & rubbed over the pan.

I have to admit that I never cook fish directly on aluminum foil for the exact reason you mention. I find it easier to cook directly on the oiled pan & then just soak the pan overnight in soapy water afterwards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom