"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Yep you got the technique down.

Baking is healthier than frying all things being equal. As far as temp and time that is a hard thing to say. Temp I would probably do 350ish. Time will be different for every piece of fish and for each oven. You basically will just need to check the fish. I would start at 350 for about 10-15 minutes. To check, take a fork and pull at the fish a little. It should be solid white and flaky. If it does not flake easily or is still a little translucent then let it cook a little longer.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Welcome BWS!! Very glad that you have joined us, and that you have decided to explore the wonderful world of cooking!! Everyone has to start somewhere (I too, didn't know anything about cooking until I was almost grown up!!), we all have been there and understand, so don't be afraid to ask ANY questions!! You have already received great advices for frying fish. If I may throw in my 2 cents, if you don't have a thermometer and would like to know how to determine the proper oil temperature, this is a good way to eye ball it... throw in a tiny pinch of the batter into the oil, if it comes right up to the surface bubbling, it is ready. If it sinks and remain at the bottom for a while, the oil is not hot enough.
There are always many, many delicious fish recipes without deep frying, either grilled, seared or oven baked. Surf around our fish and seafood section, you will find oodles of ideas!!
For the seasoning for the fish, squeezing the lemon juice over the piping hot fish is always delicious, also dill and caper can be nice with many type of fish.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:15 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

THANKS!
The warm reception and help is greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to trying some new recipes and getting advise from the wonderful people here. Thanks again,
BoyWithSpoon
Old 05-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

For frying, I suggest oils low in saturated fats such as canola or safflower oils. Olive oil also works well and is one of the healthier oils. However, it has less of a tolerance for higher heats. It will start smoking at a lower temp.

I usually bake fish at 400 F. A thick piece such as a salmon filet can take longer than a thinner piece. The 'rule of thumb' is 10 minutes per inch of thickness. Most fish is less than an inch thick. You have to decide on the time based on how well done you want the fish to be.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
Master Chef

Getting the grease hot enough is the trick to keepy your fish from being too greasy. Also, don't overcrowd the pan, as that lowers the temperature of the grease.
We've used all sorts of methods for breading the fish, but our favorite way is to use Zatarain's Fish Fry Coating. You just wash the fish off, dredge it in the coating and pop into the pan. It's a lighter coating than the 3 step type, which we like because you can still taste the fish.
Also remember not to overcook your fish. Fry until just golden.

Something we also enjoy are pan-seared fish fillets. We put a small amount of oil in a non-stick skillet, season the fish with S&P and a dash of Cajun seasoning, if you wish, then sear on both sides on med/high heat. If your fillets are thin, you can roll them up and secure with a toothpick to make a thicker piece of fish, or even stack one piece on top of another and treat as one piece. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice over the top when they are done. Again, don't over-cook your fish. It only takes a few minutes on each side.

You can also season the fish as above, rubbing with a small amount of olive oil first, and cook on the grill. When we do that, I like to place a thin slice of lemon on top of each fish.

I have yet to find a recipe for oven baked fish that I like, so I'm no help there.

Yes, fish has cholesterol, but it's the good kind. Fish are healthy for you! Eat'em up!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #16
Executive Chef

the most obvious seasonings and ones often forgotten are salt and pepper

you can add several dashes of hot sauce (your favorite brand) to the beaten egg mixture; you can add grated parmesan cheese to the final bread crumb mix.

use crushed corn flakes instead of bread crumbs...awesome...also really good with the parmesan cheese.

once the cookin' bug's got ya, it's not lettin' go!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

lol,
thanks again everyone!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Which type of oil would be better? Would peanut oil be better than vegetable or EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), or would it just be like...umm, say personal preference? I know oils are varied as to which is best with what type of food you're frying up, and just wanted to know which would be better with fish. I'm still a newbie when it comes to cooking myself, I've mostly gone the fast food or restaurant route, but am wanting to eat better for health reasons. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:50 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
also may I add to make sure you get your oil hot before placing the fish in, I also use zantrains lemmon pepper breading, not really realvent just thought I would throw that in :)
Old 05-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodfiend
Which type of oil would be better? Would peanut oil be better than vegetable or EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), or would it just be like...umm, say personal preference? I know oils are varied as to which is best with what type of food you're frying up, and just wanted to know which would be better with fish. I'm still a newbie when it comes to cooking myself, I've mostly gone the fast food or restaurant route, but am wanting to eat better for health reasons. Thanks.

peanut oil tends to get hotter than veg. oil,thats all I could figure would be different...

Tags
None