"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 05-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #31
Assistant Cook
The amount of oil it takes to grease your foil is negligible so just do that. The amount of calories and cholesterol in an egg wash is equally negligible, but if you can get the stuff to stick without it it's fine. There is also PAM, of course.

Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:36 AM   #32
Chief Eating Officer
Yeah use just a touch of oil on the foil. You really only need the smallest amount. Just drizzle a drop and then brush it around the oil. The fish will not stick after that.

(Gretchen, please check your Private Messages)

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #33
Assistant Cook
Fish is a good source of Omega 3 oil.

Here's what I tell my sons (25 &27) to do. Ask the fishmonger for a firm fish - ie one that won't break up during cooking. Soft flaky fish are a disaster waiting to happen.

Pat the fish dry with a paper towel. Cut into pieces about 5inchesx3inches. Mix on a plate some plain flour, a sprinkling of dried herbs (like oregano, marjoram, dill) and a little sprinkle of salt. Dip the fish into the flour and press some on.

Heat 3 tablespoons oil (or half butter and half oil) in a pan and when hot place in the fish. If the fish still has its skin on, place the skin side down first.

After about 3 minutes, check that the underside is golden brown. Turn the fish and cook the other side. Fish is done when you poke it with a fork and it separates into flakes.

Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and a nice salad.

This method will give a crispy crust and is from the school of KISS (keep it simple, stupid) school of cooking.

Plain, simple, great. To tart it up, serve with tartare sauce.

May you have a long and happy life in the kitchen!
patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #34
Master Chef
Your best bet is to use some oil - just sparingly & of the "good" variety. For both my baking & broiler pans I use either a canola or olive oil spray, or just some poured on a paper towel & rubbed over the pan.

I have to admit that I never cook fish directly on aluminum foil for the exact reason you mention. I find it easier to cook directly on the oiled pan & then just soak the pan overnight in soapy water afterwards.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote