"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I think you need something to bind the Panko to the fish, probably egg.
Could I use the egg to form the panko into a patty like a piece of bread? Would it hold up?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Could I use the egg to form the panko into a patty like a piece of bread? Would it hold up?
I don't think it would hold up. But, if you want to use Panko...........

Depends on the cooking method.........deep fry I would say milk>flour>egg>panko.
Pan or oven fry, just milk works well. I do the former method for chicken frequently. If you are doing a thin fillet of fish I would recomend the oven {drizzle w/melted butter cook @ 425 for 7+ mins till done}

Old 02-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you
Old 03-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Saffron Flour

I sometimes prepare fish or chicken cutlets in all purpose flour with 1 tsp of saffron threads ( crush in mortar with pestle ) --- and if there is an availability problem, perhaps u can find ground saffron or a saffron mix for paella in Latin Grocer ...

Adds a nice aroma ... and also, u can add some fresh herbs or dried herbs to compliment. Sauté in olive oil ...

Thanks for posting and have nice wkend.

Margi.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #15
Master Chef

Let's examine how breading works. First, you have something to be breaded, some kind of meat or veggie. Meats are naturally moist; so flour will stick to their surface. But breadcrumbs of any sort, are just too heavy, with too little surface area to stick effectively to meat, or skin. The trick is to get something to act as a glue of sorts, to hold the breadcrumbs, or whatever coating you are using, to stick to the outside surface of the item to be breaded.

Here is a classic, 3-part method for getting breading to stick properly to meat, poultry, or fish.

Place 3 shallow containers on a table, side by side. I the first, place plain or seasoned flour. Fill the 2nd with egg-wash made up of beaten egg, and milk. Put breadcrumbs into the 3rd shallow container.

Pat the meat, poultry, or fish dry with a paper towel so that the outer surface is a little sticky, but not wet. Dredge the item to be breaded in the flour, making sure to coat the entire piece. Shake off all excess flour. Now, dip the item into the egg wash, again making sure that all of the item is coated. Remove and let excess drip back into the container. Now dredge in the breadcrumbs. Again shake off the excess and place onto a cooking rack. Let sit for 5 minutes before placing in the hot oil.

Here's why this works. The skin, or outer meat that is to be breaded is not sticky enough to hold fast to a coating. But it will adhere to the fine grains of flour. The flour gives the egg wash something to stick to, and hydrate. The hydrated flour acts as a paste to hold firmly to the breadcrumbs. Letting everything sit for a moment allows the flour paste to dry a little, and anchor the breading to the breaded item.

Of course, you can change the final pan ingredients to corn meal, farina, panko breadcrumbs, or even panko breadcrumbs mixed with shredded coconut (yummy on chicken, pork, and seafood).

And there you have it, the famous three step process for breading meats, poultry, fish, and anything else you might want to bread.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #16
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Let's examine how breading works. First, you have something to be breaded, some kind of meat or veggie. Meats are naturally moist; so flour will stick to their surface. But breadcrumbs of any sort, are just too heavy, with too little surface area to stick effectively to meat, or skin. The trick is to get something to act as a glue of sorts, to hold the breadcrumbs, or whatever coating you are using, to stick to the outside surface of the item to be breaded.

Here is a classic, 3-part method for getting breading to stick properly to meat, poultry, or fish.

Place 3 shallow containers on a table, side by side. I the first, place plain or seasoned flour. Fill the 2nd with egg-wash made up of beaten egg, and milk. Put breadcrumbs into the 3rd shallow container.

Pat the meat, poultry, or fish dry with a paper towel so that the outer surface is a little sticky, but not wet. Dredge the item to be breaded in the flour, making sure to coat the entire piece. Shake off all excess flour. Now, dip the item into the egg wash, again making sure that all of the item is coated. Remove and let excess drip back into the container. Now dredge in the breadcrumbs. Again shake off the excess and place onto a cooking rack. Let sit for 5 minutes before placing in the hot oil.

Here's why this works. The skin, or outer meat that is to be breaded is not sticky enough to hold fast to a coating. But it will adhere to the fine grains of flour. The flour gives the egg wash something to stick to, and hydrate. The hydrated flour acts as a paste to hold firmly to the breadcrumbs. Letting everything sit for a moment allows the flour paste to dry a little, and anchor the breading to the breaded item.

Of course, you can change the final pan ingredients to corn meal, farina, panko breadcrumbs, or even panko breadcrumbs mixed with shredded coconut (yummy on chicken, pork, and seafood).

And there you have it, the famous three step process for breading meats, poultry, fish, and anything else you might want to bread.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

In adding to this, crushed potato chips, crushed corn chips(like blue corn crisps or something), even course chopped popcorn(fun on shrimp), or war in shoestring potatoes, all make for fun and different textures and breading.

Al lof it of course is just helping to add to what a few Chef buddies and I refer to as "Americas favorite Flavor. . .CRUNCH" lol.

sometimes, I just prefer a quick dredge through some flour with malt powder and a dip in some really thin batter of rice flour, AP flour, baking powder, salt, and seltzer water. Not quite an Asian Tempura, not quite a fish n' chip batter, just light, flaky and delicate.

Also, for a nice Asian style batter, 4 egg whites to 4T of corn starch makes what at first is a gummy batter(to look at and see in the bowl), but pan fries/deep fries up to be an amazingly light, and crisp tempura, best for shrimp, calamari, and little chunks of cubed chicken like if you were making a Kung Pao style dish.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Also, for a nice Asian style batter, 4 egg whites to 4T of corn starch makes what at first is a gummy batter(to look at and see in the bowl), but pan fries/deep fries up to be an amazingly light, and crisp tempura, best for shrimp, calamari, and little chunks of cubed chicken like if you were making a Kung Pao style dish.
Funny you mention that, I've just recently been experimenting with 1:1 egg white:cornstarch batter for Asian dishes. Would you happen to have any marinade suggestions for use before battering? (shrimp)
Old 03-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
Executive Chef

You need three containers. I use pie plates. One with flour, one with egg wash, and one with panko crumbs.

1. Dredge the fish in flour. This eliminates any wet spots on the fish. Egg and/or crumbs will not stick to wet fish.

2. Dip the fish into the egg wash. This makes it sticky for the bread crumbs.

3. Roll the fish in the bread crumbs, patting them into place where necessary.

Sauté the fish in a skillet with hot oil in it, turning once only. I use light olive oil, but canola or peanut oil will work.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Funny you mention that, I've just recently been experimenting with 1:1 egg white:cornstarch batter for Asian dishes. Would you happen to have any marinade suggestions for use before battering? (shrimp)

Shoyu, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, mirin, a little lime and a little sesame oil.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
Master Chef

Just as an oddity: Mayonnaise makes an excellent sub for eggs as the first step in breading. A friend in Hawaii taught me that and I use it often.

Another tip is that instant mashed potato flakes (not buds, or at least I've not tried them) actually can mimic panko and add another dimension. I don't know if I've ever used them to make mashed potatoes, but often use them for breading and thickening soups and sauces.

Tags
bread slices, fish