Breezy Jumbo Crab Cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Yesterday, in honor of the running of the Preakness, I was in the mood for crab cakes. While I have lots of different recipes for them & enjoy trying new twists, I just wanted something really basic, & ended up using the recipe on the crab meat container with a bit of tweaking. They were WONDERFUL! The seasoning was spot on - flavorful without drowning the fresh taste of the crabmeat. And the less expensive claw meat that I used was also perfect - lots of flavor; nice-size pieces. This recipe makes 4 jumbo-size cakes, but you could easily make 8 smaller ones - just cut back on the baking time. Anyway - enjoy!:chef:

Breezy Jumbo Crab Cakes
(adapted from a Phillip’s crab cake recipe)

1 pound crab meat (I used Phillip’s claw, which worked very well)
1 egg
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Juice from ¼ of a lemon
1 tablespoon coarse-ground or whole-grain prepared mustard
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
¼ - ½ cup chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
½ cup dry seasoned bread crumbs (I used Progresso Italian-seasoned)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees & lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet. Thoroughly combine all ingredients except crab meat in a bowl. Gently but thoroughly fold in crab meat. Form gently but firmly into 4 large patties & place on oiled sheet & bake for 12-15 minutes or until just very lightly browned.

Serve with condiment(s) of choice – fresh lemon, tartar sauce, hot chili sauce, cocktail sauce, Thousand Island dressing, remoulade sauce, etc. – on toasted crusty rolls with lettuce, or plated as is with a green salad &/or shoestring fries on the side.

Sounds like a wonderful recipe Breezy. I especially like that they aren't fried.
I've never had a fried crabcake that did a thing for me.....something about that fried taste just doesn't suit delectable crab in my opinion. What do you think about using Panko bread crumbs here?

You could definitely try it. Panko crumbs have a much larger surface area than the finer commercial breadcrumbs - don't know if/how that would affect the final outcome. I do know that Panko crumbs now come in different varieties - whole wheat, Italian-seasoned, etc.

Back
Top Bottom