"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Head Chef

Cajun Shrimp Question?

Hey guys, i want to try something new tonight, here goes

i want to get some shrimp cooked up and serve them in a sauce spooned on top of rice

But i'm not sure how i want to do the shrimp / sauce.

I wanted to do it cajun style, so i was going to start with that cajun style mirepoix, bellpepper, celery, and onion....and then add some diced or crushed tomatoes...and then add some vegetable stock...and kind of reduce that..and get some shrimp in there

Should i cook the shrimp inside the actual sauce? That is how i want to do it, i don't want to grill them and throw them in

Also, what herbs and spices go with this ? I'm not sure what spices they use in cajun cuisine but i just see premixed "cajun spice"

What is in that?

Any ideas on what i will need to pick up at the grocer? Any herbs/veggies/spices..

I'm gonna make a little less than a pound of medium sized shrimp...Not sure how much tomatoes/broth i will need...

just a few pointers would be great..

thanks in advance

--------------

EDIT: i found something....I'd like to modify this and use shrimp instead...How can i change this to use shrimp? I'm not sure how long they will take to cook boiling in a sauce? Should i cook the sauce and get the flavors nice and good for awhile, and THEN add the shrimp after the sauce has reduced for a bit and just melded ?

thanks in advance

This one's not as thick as some, since Mom doesn't like roux in étouffée. It's mighty tasty! In fact, pretty much any time Mom asks anyone what meal they want for an occasion -- birthday, family visit, what have you -- this is invariably what we request. It's a truly fantastic version of a Louisiana classic.
  • 2 pounds crawfish tails
  • 1/4 pound butter
  • 1 cup minced onion
  • 1/2 cup minced bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup minced celery
  • 2 tablespoons crawfish fat
  • 2 cups cold water
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  • Creole seasoning blend, to taste
  • Salt, to taste
  • Pinch dried thyme
  • Pinch dried oregano
  • 1 bay leaf
Season the crawfish tails with salt, plus a little black and cayenne pepper. Heat the butter in a saute pan and saute the onion, bell pepper and celery until the translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the crawfish fat (or extra butter if you don't have any), plus 1-1/2 cups water. Add the Creole seasoning, thyme, oregano, bay leaf and crawfish tails. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Dissolve the corn starch in the remaining 1/2 cup water and add to the mixture. Add the green onions and parsley, and cook an additional 5 minutes. Serve over hot long grain rice.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Master Chef

How about a good Shrimp Creole? I used to fix that a lot. The following recipe is pretty much the way I did it, except for the almond flour. I just used regular flour.
You can also brown pork chops or chicken and let them simmer in the Creole sauce.
Serve over rice.

Bayou Shrimp Creole Recipe | Shrimp Creole Recipes @ CDKitchen.com :: it's what's cooking online!

Old 05-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Shrimp can be substituted for the crawfish in the recipe you posted. However I would suggest you add the shrimp during the last 5 minutes. Cooking shrimp or crawfish for 30+ minutes will result in them being over-cooked and tough. Hope this helps you!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Just do as Uncle Bob said - simply replace the shrimp for the crawfish. I'm not sure 5 minutes will be long enough, depending on how you cut the shrimp. Because this will not be at a rolling boil as in making peel and eat shrimp it may take a little longer.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Ok Miss Elf...Maybe 6 minutes

Really my method is looking at them..When I think they might be done I fork one and taste it and go from there. They will continue to cook after you plate them. Just don't over-cook them is the key!

Old 05-05-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
Head Chef

thanks alot guys.....came out great!
Old 05-06-2007, 01:04 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Ok Miss Elf...Maybe 6 minutes

Really my method is looking at them..When I think they might be done I fork one and taste it and go from there. They will continue to cook after you plate them. Just don't over-cook them is the key!
I'll even meet you in the middle - 5 1/2 minutes! And I agree with your method - they are done when they are done!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I'll even meet you in the middle - 5 1/2 minutes! And I agree with your method - they are done when they are done!
Agreed! {{{{Kitchenelf}}}}}

Old 05-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
Head Chef

Shrimp took about 5 minutes once they got in the sauce.

This was very good! I want to try it with chicken too.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I know it's a little late, but here's a few other ideas that I do quite frequently:

Constance mentioned Shrimp Creole - which my other half, PeppA, dearly loves.
Shrimp Jambalaya
Blackened Shrimp - I know, I mentioned this quite a bit, but I love the flavor!
Cajun BBQ Shrimp - This is actually a saute method, in a highly-seasoned beer-butter sauce. Very messy, and very tasty! If you do it, clear your table, and lay newspaper all over everywhere.

Get yourself a copy of Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen. All the recipes I mentioned, plus many, many, others, are there (as well as his Blackened Seasoning mix, why buy it when you can make it?).

Tags
None