"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 10-15-2004, 08:28 PM   #11

8)

Old 11-02-2004, 03:46 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i made this again last night for a midnight snack, the whole house was "perfumed" with the smell of garlic. it was kinda salty, so next time i would reduce the salt to 1/2 tsp. i also used freshwater u-16's, they were very tasty.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:00 AM   #13
Head Chef

Hi Bucky! This is one of my favorites! This is how I make my version (also called Gambas Al Ajillo):

First I make a stock by simmering the mashed shells and heads of the shrimps in 3/4-deep water. Then I discard the shells and reduce stock further. Meantime, I saute minced garlic in olive oil until golden brown and let it stand in the pan at least 20 minutes. Heat up oil again, add the stock through a strainer and further reduce it, season lightly with salt. Throw in shrimps and sliced finger chilies (or jalapenos) until shrimps turn pink. Do not overcook the shrimps.

You can further enhance the flavor by adding half a chicken bouillon into the sauteing oil before throwing in the shrimps. In some versions they add Spanish paprika but for me it just detracts from the flavor.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:44 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
Hi Bucky! This is one of my favorites! This is how I make my version (also called Gambas Al Ajillo):

First I make a stock by simmering the mashed shells and heads of the shrimps in 3/4-deep water. Then I discard the shells and reduce stock further. Meantime, I saute minced garlic in olive oil until golden brown and let it stand in the pan at least 20 minutes. Heat up oil again, add the stock through a strainer and further reduce it, season lightly with salt. Throw in shrimps and sliced finger chilies (or jalapenos) until shrimps turn pink. Do not overcook the shrimps.

You can further enhance the flavor by adding half a chicken bouillon into the sauteing oil before throwing in the shrimps. In some versions they add Spanish paprika but for me it just detracts from the flavor.
Your recipe,Chopstix, seems to be on the mark. Can you suggest one for the accompanying rice?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

well, you're quite welcome bill!

i'm glad i could entice choptix to post her recipe.

lol, thanks chops. looks great, er, right on the mark.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None