Can you freeze sliced smoked salmon? (lox)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes when I buy smoked salmon (in 3-4 ounce packages) it says DO NOT FREEZE on the package. I assume it's a texture issue.
It probably means it's been previously frozen. However, I do find that ss sold frozen has lost a bit of texture. OK if you want it for fishcakes or in a sauce, etc., but imo it isn't as good to serve on it's own

Actually I had lox 'n bagel for breakfast today and the frozen then defrosted lox tasted fine.

I sure hope they open a SK here in SCV soon!

If I see a bargain in smoked salmon I buy it and put it in the freezer. My on-line supermarket has it half price at the moment and I have bought a couple of large packs for the freezer. As they are 400g packs and I divide them up before freezing.

I also freeze home cured gravalax. I put the salmon in the freezer before the curing process (to kill off the worms) and then after curing and eating I freeze any left overs. Have been doing this for a few years and am still alive and kicking :LOL:

If I see a bargain in smoked salmon I buy it and put it in the freezer. My on-line supermarket has it half price at the moment and I have bought a couple of large packs for the freezer. As they are 400g packs and I divide them up before freezing.

I also freeze home cured gravalax. I put the salmon in the freezer before the curing process (to kill off the worms) and then after curing and eating I freeze any left overs. Have been doing this for a few years and am still alive and kicking :LOL:
I do the same. Well, I usually don't make more graved laks than we can easily finish. Never thought of freezing that, d'oh!

We were discussing texture. I don't find that it harms the texture. Have you noticed degradation of the texture of the salmon after freezing?

I eat a lot of lox; buy it a lot of it too. Especially when I am in NY. Last time I brought home 30 or 40 pounds of it. Sliced, unsliced, as a whole fish that is. Lox fairs very well when freezing and defrosting and even freezing again. Unlike meat it doesn't get spoiled. And practically doesn't lose its taste. Practically because sometimes I keep it for month and month in the freezer, then it might be just a bit off. Otherwise it is perfectly fine.

My freezing worked out fine. In the future I'll buy 3-4 packages approx 12-14 ounces each and freeze all but one...

Funny I got hooked on lox 'n bagel, cream cheese 'n onion, have it almost every day. Just toast the bagel and slap it together. I sure must be getting my omega 3 fatty acids although I take supplements too.

Now, make your plain cream cheese into chive cream cheese and then addslice of freshh tomato and cucumber tot he bagel, yum.

My freezing worked out fine. In the future I'll buy 3-4 packages approx 12-14 ounces each and freeze all but one...

Funny I got hooked on lox 'n bagel, cream cheese 'n onion, have it almost every day. Just toast the bagel and slap it together. I sure must be getting my omega 3 fatty acids although I take supplements too.
You could make your own quark to substitute for the cream cheese. It's easier to make than yogourt. Then you would have better control of what's in it. You can make it more spreadable than regular cream cheese. We use it with smoked salmon all the time and don't notice a difference in taste.

Philadelphia cream cheese (regular variety) works just fine for me, and I see no reason to spend any effort trying to improve upon it.

My biggest problem is that I shouldn't eat this every day! LOL! :)

I froze some lox the other day as a test and ate some of it this morning. I detected no changes in texture.

Greg, I have a home made onion bagel with cream cheese and lox three times a week.

LOL, Andy, I have you beat by 4x a week! It's a good thing I don't presently have a significant other, or if I did she'd have to be hooked on it too, because I put a pretty generous serving of onion on my bagel/lox/cream cheese.

I've noticed that I have just one bagel ("everything") and enough thawed lox for one breakfast. I think I'll switch over to my egg burrito breakfast for a while. Having lox/bagel/onion/cream cheese for longer than I can remember seems excessive to me... Although good! :)

Update: Since my positive results from freezing lox a week or so ago, I took the next step.

I normally buy lox at the supermarket in a 3 ounce (85 gr.) pack for $5.29. That's two bagel's worth of lox. Doing the math that's $2.65 per bagel. This past weekend I bought lox at Costco. It was 24 ounces (680 gr.) for $21.99. I got 14 portions so that comes out to $1.57 per bagel.

It's all in the freezer now so I'm set for about 5 weeks. That's two weeks for you, Greg.

Update: Since my positive results from freezing lox a week or so ago, I took the next step.

I normally buy lox at the supermarket in a 3 ounce (85 gr.) pack for $5.29. That's two bagel's worth of lox. Doing the math that's $2.65 per bagel. This past weekend I bought lox at Costco. It was 24 ounces (680 gr.) for $21.99. I got 14 portions so that comes out to $1.57 per bagel.

It's all in the freezer now so I'm set for about 5 weeks. That's two weeks for you, Greg.
And your portions are slightly larger. ;)

And your portions are slightly larger. ;)

I figured that you, having a numbers background, would notice that. Yes, I could have squeaked out a couple more servings but didn't see myself pulling off or adding little tiny slivers of salmon to get to the exact measure.

I figured that you, having a numbers background, would notice that. Yes, I could have squeaked out a couple more servings but didn't see myself pulling off or adding little tiny slivers of salmon to get to the exact measure.
That's what I figured. Now just remember to enjoy the fact that your servings are a smidgen bigger. :)

I wouldn't keep it for much longer than 5 weeks. "They" usually don't recommend freezing any smoked goods for longer than a month

I wouldn't keep it for much longer than 5 weeks. "They" usually don't recommend freezing any smoked goods for longer than a month

I buy my lox directly from manufacturer. According to the company, as long as fish stays frozen, in a well-sealed package there is absolutely no problem to keep it for even a year. And I have done it too. Taste change is practically undetectable.

Back
Top Bottom