"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

I have never thought of freezing smoked salmon. Sometimes I can't eat a small package in a reasonable amount of time. I will definitely try it.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have never noticed a loss of quality in the frozen smoked salmon that I buy. I've even partially defrosted the pack, removed half for current consumption, and refrozen the partially thawed part with no loss of quality. The reason I partially thaw is to be able to separate the slices.
I've done this as well with the Norwegian smoked salmon and not noticed a loss of quality.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
Head Chef

It would depend. Was it previously frozen?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
It would depend. Was it previously frozen?
I'm going to guess that most smoked salmon that is sold "fresh" was frozen before it was smoked, to kill parasites.

I'm pretty sure I have bought non-frozen smoked salmon and frozen some of it and it was fine. I have never noticed a deterioration in texture.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Sometimes when I buy smoked salmon (in 3-4 ounce packages) it says DO NOT FREEZE on the package. I assume it's a texture issue.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm going to guess that most smoked salmon that is sold "fresh" was frozen before it was smoked, to kill parasites.
That makes a lot of sense because because sushi grade fish is commonly flash frozen for a short period for the same reason.

I have no idea if the smoking process would affect parasites. Considering the consistency of the finished product, it appears to be uncooked, so I imagine the temperature is not high enough to kill parasites.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sometimes when I buy smoked salmon (in 3-4 ounce packages) it says DO NOT FREEZE on the package. I assume it's a texture issue.
I've never seen that. My main complaint is that I can buy a 3-4 oz. package in a supermarket for about $6 but SK sells approx. 1 pound packages for $14.

I'll report back when I've run out of the unfrozen package and thawed my first frozen package.

I hope Super King will open a supermarket in my area (Santa Clarita Valley) soon. That would solve my problem and get me lots of really inexpensive good quality produce too. The place is amazing! I've seen produce sold there that I never saw in real life but only in an encyclopedia or on the Internet. Fresh!!! And at an inexpensive price!!!

I believe SK has about 8 supermarkets in the Los Angeles area. I remember when Trader Joe's was just California. (I remember when Fry's Electronics was just California.) I'm not sure about Vallarta but I'm pretty sure any expansion will be into only areas with a large Latino population. (We have enough in my area to have our own Vallarta.) It's amazing how these types of markets (and Asian markets) can offer better quality produce for lower prices than mainstream supermarkets.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This is a topic by Greg Who Cooks, I am trying to see if it will allow me to post it.

I moved about 20 miles from the San Fernando Valley to the Santa Clarita Valley. I love my new home but one of the things I had to give up was my local Super King international supermarket in Northridge. I have all the mainstream supermarkets (Ralphs, Albertson's, Von's, Vallarta, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market) within a short distance, but I miss Super King because they have a huge selection of international foods and really, really inexpensive smoked salmon, more than double the price at SK.

Local supermarkets sell lox for about $32/lb, SK sells nicer lox for $14/lb.

I get out to the SK area every week or 10 days, not worth driving out specifically to shop there. I visited a few days ago and bought about 4 lb. of lox. It seems to last pretty long. I've bought 3 packages before, ate lox on a bagel every morning, and it was still good when I ran out.

But it would be really good if I can buy it in bulk and just freeze most of the packages. (Packages are around a pound each.)

So my question: how does sliced salmon fare in the freezer? I would move a package from freezer to refrigerator a few days before I run out.

Will this work?
Based on my experience of commercially frozen smoked salmon, I don't think it works terribly well. The texture seems to be affected and it goes a bit pappy. However, if I was going to freeze it I wouldn't leave it in there for much more than 4 weeks.

Only my opinion, for what it's worth.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post

I hope we get the forum bug fixed that prevented me from posting this topic myself.
I replied to the PF version but when I "quote"d it It came as your post with your avatar. Most odd.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the advice.

Tags
lox, other, salmon