"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I replied to the PF version but when I "quote"d it It came as your post with your avatar. Most odd.
At the time, we were having problems with posting and I posted this request for Greg.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sometimes when I buy smoked salmon (in 3-4 ounce packages) it says DO NOT FREEZE on the package. I assume it's a texture issue.
It probably means it's been previously frozen. However, I do find that ss sold frozen has lost a bit of texture. OK if you want it for fishcakes or in a sauce, etc., but imo it isn't as good to serve on it's own

Old 09-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Actually I had lox 'n bagel for breakfast today and the frozen then defrosted lox tasted fine.

I sure hope they open a SK here in SCV soon!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #24
Senior Cook

If I see a bargain in smoked salmon I buy it and put it in the freezer. My on-line supermarket has it half price at the moment and I have bought a couple of large packs for the freezer. As they are 400g packs and I divide them up before freezing.

I also freeze home cured gravalax. I put the salmon in the freezer before the curing process (to kill off the worms) and then after curing and eating I freeze any left overs. Have been doing this for a few years and am still alive and kicking
Old 09-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbicacid View Post
If I see a bargain in smoked salmon I buy it and put it in the freezer. My on-line supermarket has it half price at the moment and I have bought a couple of large packs for the freezer. As they are 400g packs and I divide them up before freezing.

I also freeze home cured gravalax. I put the salmon in the freezer before the curing process (to kill off the worms) and then after curing and eating I freeze any left overs. Have been doing this for a few years and am still alive and kicking
I do the same. Well, I usually don't make more graved laks than we can easily finish. Never thought of freezing that, d'oh!

We were discussing texture. I don't find that it harms the texture. Have you noticed degradation of the texture of the salmon after freezing?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #26
Master Chef

I eat a lot of lox; buy it a lot of it too. Especially when I am in NY. Last time I brought home 30 or 40 pounds of it. Sliced, unsliced, as a whole fish that is. Lox fairs very well when freezing and defrosting and even freezing again. Unlike meat it doesn't get spoiled. And practically doesn't lose its taste. Practically because sometimes I keep it for month and month in the freezer, then it might be just a bit off. Otherwise it is perfectly fine.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #27
Executive Chef

My freezing worked out fine. In the future I'll buy 3-4 packages approx 12-14 ounces each and freeze all but one...

Funny I got hooked on lox 'n bagel, cream cheese 'n onion, have it almost every day. Just toast the bagel and slap it together. I sure must be getting my omega 3 fatty acids although I take supplements too.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #28
Master Chef

Now, make your plain cream cheese into chive cream cheese and then addslice of freshh tomato and cucumber tot he bagel, yum.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
My freezing worked out fine. In the future I'll buy 3-4 packages approx 12-14 ounces each and freeze all but one...

Funny I got hooked on lox 'n bagel, cream cheese 'n onion, have it almost every day. Just toast the bagel and slap it together. I sure must be getting my omega 3 fatty acids although I take supplements too.
You could make your own quark to substitute for the cream cheese. It's easier to make than yogourt. Then you would have better control of what's in it. You can make it more spreadable than regular cream cheese. We use it with smoked salmon all the time and don't notice a difference in taste.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Philadelphia cream cheese (regular variety) works just fine for me, and I see no reason to spend any effort trying to improve upon it.

My biggest problem is that I shouldn't eat this every day! LOL!

Tags
lox, other, salmon