"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #51
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,870
When you say quark, do you mean farmers cheese?
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #52
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Commercial blast freezing is not the same as do-it-yourself freezing.
What does that have to do with anything?
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #53
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
What does that have to do with anything?
The Blast Freeze process requires that food be reduced from a temperature of +70ºC to –18ºC in no more than 240 minutes. Much colder and faster than the domestic freezer even on fast freeze and in more hygienic conditions that are possible even in the best run domestic kitchen so less damage to the food and it will keep longer.

Because the domestic freezer freezes more slowly and the food takes longer to reach the safe temperature there is more opportunity for deterioration, which is why food frozen at home doesn't keep, or shouldn't be kept, as long as commercially frozen food.
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #54
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
When you say quark, do you mean farmers cheese?
Don't know what "farmer's cheese" is but quark is very similar to the soft cheese you get when you strain unflavoured and unsweetened yoghourt overnight through muslin. In fact, if you can't get hold of quark you can use the yoghourt cheese as a substitute.
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,572
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Don't know what "farmer's cheese" is but quark is very similar to the soft cheese you get when you strain unflavoured and unsweetened yoghourt overnight through muslin. In fact, if you can't get hold of quark you can use the yoghourt cheese as a substitute.
Yup.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_cheese, farmer's cheese is pressed cottage cheese. A big difference is that farmer's cheese is made with rennet and quark is clabbered using a lacto bacillus that grows at lower temperatures than the one that produces yogourt, though apparently commercially made quark in Germany is sometimes made with rennet.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #56
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
The Blast Freeze process requires that food be reduced from a temperature of +70ºC to –18ºC in no more than 240 minutes. Much colder and faster than the domestic freezer even on fast freeze and in more hygienic conditions that are possible even in the best run domestic kitchen so less damage to the food and it will keep longer.

Because the domestic freezer freezes more slowly and the food takes longer to reach the safe temperature there is more opportunity for deterioration, which is why food frozen at home doesn't keep, or shouldn't be kept, as long as commercially frozen food.
That's all fine, but I do freeze it at home in my freezer.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #57
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
That's all fine, but I do freeze it at home in my freezer.
i do too charlie & i haven't noticed any real deterioration in texture or quality either.i think it's because
a)salmon is an oily fish & like most oily foods takes freezing better than non oily.
b)part of the smoking process is brining which extracts moisture,the smoking extracts more & therefore there is less moisture to turn to ice crystals which in turn means less damage on thawing.
right charlie,i have to lie down,you have no idea how much it hurt my head trying to be sensible on that reply!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #58
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,306
Well, looky here!
Howdy Harry!
How you been ol' Hoss?
__________________
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #59
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
'ang on a minute...are we talking lox or smoked salmon here?
i thought lox was a brined fillet of salmon & smoked salmon was,well,lox that is then smoked.ok,bomb chucked.................!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #60
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Well, looky here!
Howdy Harry!
How you been ol' Hoss?
well looky here yerself hoot me old mucker!!
i'm good thanks matey!! how's you?i trust you,mrs hoot & all the little hoot's are well too!
i'll raise a glass or two of wild turkey & toast your health this evening my friend....any excuse eh hoot !!
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lox, other, salmon

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.