Can you make salmon into a curry dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
Usually they use a white fish, I wonder if Salmon is too oily to use in a curry. what do you guys think? Any tips??Try to respond quickly, I am defrosting it now and wondering...

I don't like salmon in any kind of curried sauce. But I've certainly used it with a soy sauce dressing, slightly Chinese flavoured sauce!

I certainly would, and in fact I have done so and have a recipe for it. I hope you give it a try!

kansas here is what I did:

sautee' in skillet: 2 tbs crisco, one small onion chopped, slices of ginger and some mustard seeds.

After onions get a little translucent, add: fresh lemon grass, chopped up; one can of curry paste (the red label one); a dozen cherry tomatoes chopped in half, add some cumin and coriander. Cook this a few more minutes.

Now take 6 souffle cups and line each with spinach leaves, then about 3 large chunks of salmon in each cup. Cover the salmon with the tomatoe/onion/curry mixture. Top with chopped mint leaves. I added a little bonito liquid to each, but probably better to add Thai fish sauce.

Steam for 20 minutes.

It came out really well, the tomatoe and lemon grass gave it a nice sour compliment to the fish. You could still taste the salmon taste it was not overpowered.

This was based on an egyptian curry that called for tomatoes and another fish curry that called for the spinach and the steaming.

What was your recipe?

couple more comments on my recipe.

I would suggest blanching or frying the spinach before putting in the souffle' cups. The spinach came out fine as is, but later I fried a little in the leftover curry sauce and it was fantastic.

Basil would be another topping to go w/ mint but I didnt have any.
you could add a little coconut milk to each cup, I'm not sure if the orginal recipe called for that.

not sure if you really need another fish flavor (like the Bonito I added) since salmon is already pretty strong. hmm.

serve w/ 7-Up or some other lemon/lime drink, the sour notes really work off this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom