"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #11
Head Chef

Years ago the canned tuna was pretty good but now it seems less tuna more water. and it is like mush and not chunk. I do like the oil better but I guess the water packed is better for you. Haven't tried the pouch yet and it's pretty spendy but might be worth it .Canned tuna is junk now.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:33 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Hmmmm, doesn't seem like anyone is in the same boat as me. I definitely prefer Chicken of the Sea over Starkist. Also, I like the pouches much better than the cans, both in terms of texture and taste, and I don't think they cost much more after you squeeze the water out of the canned stuff.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:14 AM   #13
Executive Chef

The 'oh so knowledgeable' owners of the new place I kitchen managed had ordered a ton of the pouch tuna - and it was BLICH - had some weird aftertaste, and the customers didn't like it. I even tried experimenting with adding a little oil with the mayo to give it some 'body', but nothing we did had that 'old-time' tuna taste. They finally ended up taking the rest of the case home with them, and let me do the ordering, lol!
Old 04-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #14
Master Chef

I like the canned better, especially the chunk in srping water. I used to eat it in oil and like the flavor of that as well, but not the extra calories. As far as brand goes, both Chicken of the Sea, and Starkist are comparable. As mercury is stored mainly in the fat, and most of the fat and fatty flesh is cut from the tuna during processing, I don't think there's a huge problem with methyl mercury poisoning from canned tuna. Fresh tuna is another story. It's up to you to remove the fatty and oil rich parts of the fish. Ironically, it's that same fat and fish oil that contains the heart-healthy, brain freindly omega-3 fatty acids that are so valuable. It's so sad that we've messed up our own planet so much that the very food we consume is dangerous to us. And even more sad, we don't seem to be willing to change our ways.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 12:29 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Heat
Smile Hey Otter

I've tried the pouch. I find it to be dry also, and not as much flavor. I used to buy Chichen of the Sea in water, canned. But, im a Bumble Bee fan now in water, canned. I know you cant get that where you live. Maybe look around. Do you have a Walmart close? They sell it. 2/1.00. But i also like the Bumble Bee Albacore. When i feel like spending more. So to your question if i had your choice, Chichen of the Sea in water, CANNED!
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I guess I am little different. I like the pouch Tuna in water it just seems eaiser and the Tuna seems better to me. I like to take the pouch to work for lunch and it is eaiser to open and the taste is great with a little La Hot Sauce.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:21 PM   #17
Sous Chef

To me, canned tuna always had a "tinny" taste, which is why I prefer the pouch, I agree that it is dryer, but I like it that way. Well, I guess this is why the marketers have opted to give us a variety of choices!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #18
Certified Executive Chef

When I feel like splurging a little, I buy tuna in a jar that I get from a vendor at Saturday Market. This couple also does olives, pickles (including pickled habanaro peppers). They line catch the tuna and process themselves and this makes the canned stuff, including Bumble Bee, taste like cardboard. The jar is 7 oz and is $5.00 so on the expensive side but once in a while it is sooooooooooooooooooo good. It comes in its own juices, oil, and an herb mixture of their own. I try to buy 1 or so a year.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #19
Master Chef

the best tuna i get is from save-a-lot! to those not in the know, it's a bargain store.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:58 AM   #20
Head Chef

I absolutely love the Genova brand tuna packed in olive oil. I frequently just toss some spring mix lettuces with onions and tuna, use the olive oil to dress it, salt and pepper and a little lemon juice. Makes a great lunch.

Tags
None