"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-20-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Canned Tuna...

A couple of questions - I have developed definite opinions, but want to know objectively what others think. 1). Is pouch better than canned?. 2). Which is better - Chicken of the Sea or Starkist (those are the only two choices where I live)?

Old 04-20-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Sorry otter, wish I could help. Someone will come along with a difinitive answer.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:59 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I am curious to hear what people think about this too. I have not tried the tuna from the pouch yet as I hardly ever eat cooked tuna, but my wife eats it all the time. She always gets the cans. I bought a pouch for her once and she seemed a bit squeamish to try it for some reason. I am not sure if she ever did eat it.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
Master Chef

Hmmmm I don't know. I always buy canned in water.....either of those brands (depends on cost). I used to eat it in oil with mom when I was a kid on crackers. I don't do that anymore.....don't eat some of the things I did back then. Anyway as far as the canned I can't tell the difference in either of those brands but then again I don't eat canned tuna but about once every 2 months and I've never compared them side to side. Thats something you may consider is having your own taste test and let us know what you think.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:54 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i prefer starkist canned
Old 04-20-2005, 06:07 PM   #6
Head Chef

I don't have a preference. The only reason I would shy away from the pouch is cost. At my local grocery stores, the pouch tends to be a lot more expensive (per ounce) than the traditional can.

No brand preference, just whatever is cheap. If I do splurge, it's to get the albacore canned tuna. Though that's not very often, that stuff is REALLY expensive.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:22 PM   #7
Certified Executive Chef

I tried the pouch tuna and feel it is terribly overpriced and does not taste any different. I buy a local Oregon one but used to buy Starkist solid white in water and loved it. I now understand we should be eating chunk light in water because it has less Mercury than the solid white, but I do not know that for certain.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:10 PM   #8
Master Chef

I find little difference in the "brand" on the can. The only difference might be where it was caught, and then in processing and perhaps the water/oil used in packing. I've never found any evidence that a tuna would taste any different because of who the fishermen sold it to.

I tried the pouch tuna, once, and was not impressed. By the time I add mayo, eggs, apples, pecans, onion, lettuce ... etc. for a salad/sandwich, or use it in a casserole with pasta - it all taste the same to me.

I do prefer tuna in oil rather than packed in water.

There is a difference between light and white tuna ... not because it's chunk or solid - chunk is just solid that broke up into chunks during processing.

The Mercury problem is with Albacore tuna - which is the "white" tuna. Personally, since it's twice the price at regular prices, and I can often get "regular" tuna at 2-3 cans/$1 ... I never eat the stuff.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:44 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We always buy the canned tuna packed in water.. NEVER the oil.
The brand doesn't seem to matter as both are pretty much the same.
I just get which ever one is on sale.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:57 PM   #10

I tried the bag tuna once, and to me, it was a little dry.

I generally buy my tuna in water -- Starkist, Chicken of the Sea -- whatever is cheaper.

Tags
None