Canned Tuna...packed in Veg Oil or Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it tastes good in oil. I prefer it packed in water or broth.

I prefer it in water as to oil. But I would definately try it in Olive oil or Italian tuna if I can find it. I would think olive oil would taste a lot better than the regular oil or just water.

I like mine packed in water. Don't like the sliminess in oil or the added calories.

I only buy light tuna packed in olive oil (not veg oil). I first had it in Italy, years ago, and the flavor of that tuna (generally also imported from Italy) is light years ahead of Bumblebee, et al. The quality of the fish is also noticeably different.

I drain the oil off, but save it to use in the vinaigrette that often accompanies the tuna.
I do too..Imported is wonderful and I like your idea of saving the oil..Thanks
kades

Can't get imported olive oil-packed tuna here and I don't care for the slimyness (if that's a word) of the oil-packed tune, so it's water-packed for me. Don't use much canned tuna so it doesn't really matter here.

Usual is chunk light packed in water - I find albacore in the can is tasteless and dry, even with the additions of onion, celery and mayo.
As a treat I'll get italian tuna in olive oil, drain some of the oil, put it in a bowl with chopped onion and italian seasoning and alittle red wine vinegar, and ground black pepper, let it sit overnight in fridge, then eat it on lettuce leaves rolled up.
Yum! It's like a sub, without the bread.

Well I will certainly look for it packed in olive oil and give that a try.

But, if my choices are water or veggie oil I pick water. Admittedly packed in water it is dry and has to be worked, but I tried it in veggie oil once simply because I picked up the wrong cans, ugg I did not like it at all!

...As a treat I'll get italian tuna in olive oil, drain some of the oil, put it in a bowl with chopped onion and italian seasoning and alittle red wine vinegar, and ground black pepper, let it sit overnight in fridge, then eat it on lettuce leaves rolled up.
Yum! It's like a sub, without the bread.

What a great idea! I will have to try that. I'm a big fan of breadless sandwiches. :chef: and I have a can in the house just waiting to be devoured.

Ok, so, is it me or are tuna cans impossible to open!?!?!? You know how hard it is for my can opener to remain locked onto the rim and complete a trip around the edge completely removing it? It can't do it. Plop. Onto the counter it goes, splashing tuna juice all over. Multiple times this happens. So aggravating.

Sounds like you need a new (or better) can opener. You want one with a nice big handle for turning and usually specifies they are easier to use. I prefer the ones that open from side, leaving no sharp edges. I have mild Arthritis and use a manual one without a problem.

I always open cans of tuna (or sardines, or kippered herring, etc., etc.) on or over a small plate. Then any "dribbles", along with the remaining drained oil, get poured over some dry cat food as a treat for the kitties.

I buy the packages, not the cans. They are moist and there's no draining necessary. It's a little pricier but if I'm having tuna, I'm doing it for something more than just tuna on white.

As usual, I'll be the dissenter here. I absolutely HATE tuna packed in water. NEVER buy it, no matter how cheap it is. It's dry as a friggin bone & has the consistency of styrofoam no matter what you do with it.

While I used to always purchase my canned tuna in vegetable oil (& drained the oil into a bowl of dry cat food as a treat for my kitties), I now exclusively buy tuna packed in olive oil. Both nutritious, absolutely delicious, & worth the extra $$.

Geez Breezy ... tell us how you really feel:LOL:

I like the oil and so do my kitties:chef:

We buy only solid albacore packed in water. It's definitely not like styrofoam -- it has a nice meaty consistency. It is dryer than oil-packed tuna, but who eats it out of the can? It ends up in tuna salad with mayo and so forth to add moisture, or in casseroles.

Speaking of which, this is our family favorite, probably the first recipe my daughter asked for one she was on her own (yes, I confess -- I do use canned Cream of Mushroom soup now and then):

TUNA TETRAZZINI

6 ounces spaghetti
1 10½-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, diced
¼ pound mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup diced pimento
¼ cup diced green pepper
2 tablespoons capers, drained
¼ cup dry sherry
1¾ cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
2 cans (7-ounces each) solid-pack albacore tuna in water
salt & pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Grease 2-quart casserole.

3. Break spaghetti in pieces and cook according to package
directions; drain.

4. While spaghetti is cooking, melt butter in medium frying
pan, add onions and green peppers and saute over
medium heat until soft, about 3 minutes.

5. Add mushrooms to pan and saute until they release their
juices, about another 3 minutes; continue cooking until
most of juices have evaporated.

6. In prepared casserole, mix together condensed soup,
onion/green pepper/mushroom mixture, pimentos, capers,
sherry, and 1¼ cups cheese (note: be sure to reserve
½ cup of cheese).

7. Break tuna into chunks and mix into sauce in casserole.

8. Add cooked spaghetti to casserole and mix carefully.

9. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of cheese over top of casserole.

10. Bake 45 – 60 minutes, until bubbly and browned on top.

I've never cared for the water-packed, white meat tuna. I don't think it has much flavor. I prefer the Italian olive-oil packed light tuna. If I'm going to eat canned tuna, it's got to taste great! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom