Canned Tuna...packed in Veg Oil or Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Italian tuna don't mind the dark or the light..The flavor is so much better. Oh and yes it has to be oil packed..Nothing better for an anti pasto tray or just plain ol tuna salad
kadesma

I am lately buying not in the can. but in the pouch, albacore, and in different formats like mesquite smoked, and enjoying them. They also fit in tighter spots in the cubby since their in pouches, and I can pull them out in a flash and choose whatever I'm in the mood for.

Bob

Just once, spend the big bucks ($2/can) and buy Genova brand in olive oil (Trader Joe's house brand is the same thing).

Better than any other U.S. brands, and about half way to the $8 Italian ventresca!

We go through about 8 cans a month. We also save the oil for the vinaigrette.

Another Genoa fan checking in. When I get packages from home, it's understood there will be a few cans in there :)

It depends on what I'm using it for: Salad or sandwich - water; Casserole or creamed tuna - oil.

I'm for the solid white in water. When I was a kid, the gray, mushy stuff in oil was pretty much all there was and it's no wonder that I hated just about all fish (the aforementioned in tuna casseroles was pretty much Friday dinner fare). If I want olive oil on my tuna (and I usually do), I'll pour it on myself (as for salad nicoise).

I always buy it in water as not only does it taste better I prefer to drain and add my own oil if I want any. This way you know your oil is good quality and you can adjust the amount.

Back
Top Bottom