Catfish tastes like dirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lobsters are also bottom feeders.
What about sole, aka flat fish? they feed on the bottom, even their eyeball moves around to the top! No muddy taste there! :LOL:
Lobsters and sole live on the bottom, but they are not bottom feeders. Bottom feeders eat both live and dead animals, as well as stuff that drifts down from above. Lobsters, sole, flounder and similar bottom dwellers eat other, *live* bottom dwellers. That's why they don't get that muddy flavor.

Lobsters and sole live on the bottom, but they are not bottom feeders. Bottom feeders eat both live and dead animals, as well as stuff that drifts down from above. Lobsters, sole, flounder and similar bottom dwellers eat other, *live* bottom dwellers. That's why they don't get that muddy flavor.

The "bottoms" that these saltwater animals live on is usually rocky or coral or sand or grass. Spiny lobsters will eat what ever they scavenge, so do blue crabs. Now clams live in mud, that is why they need to be purged.

Lobsters swim as well. Ask anyone who may have witnessed the migration.
Lobsters will eat anything that comes along or is just laying there.
What do you think they put in a lobster trap?

The "bottoms" that these saltwater animals live on is usually rocky or coral or sand or grass. Spiny lobsters will eat what ever they scavenge, so do blue crabs. Now clams live in mud, that is why they need to be purged.

Agree.

Frozen fish heads. The same thing they use in Alaska or any other part of the globe that catch their food in a trap.

Florida/Caribbean lobster march, not swim. They "dart" by flipping their tails when threatened.;)

Florida/Caribbean lobster march, not swim. They "dart" by flipping their tails when threatened.;)

Yep. They don't really swim in the conventional sense. They crawl along the bottom with their legs, only using their tails for a fast getaway from perceived danger.

Hurrah!!! ADDIE WINS!!!

What does she win RollBones? What does she win??? I'm so excited!
img_1486147_0_039f1d8e6fd8568bb14ddffd806fc102.gif

Com'n... com'n... tell us... tell us!!!

Hurrah!!! ADDIE WINS!!!

img_1486168_0_039f1d8e6fd8568bb14ddffd806fc102.gif

Living where I do, I have baited many lobster traps. The old wooden ones with a kitchen and parlor and the newer metal ones. I think every kid I grew up with would earn extra money baiting the traps.

LOL Addie - I spent a lot of summers with my grandparents on the Bay of Fundy. Grandpa was grocer and and outfitter for many a ship.

I'se The B'y that builds the boat and. I'se The B'y that sails her!

One of the first songs me da taught me... ;)

LOL Addie - I spent a lot of summers with my grandparents on the Bay of Fundy. Grandpa was grocer and and outfitter for many a ship.

I'se The B'y that builds the boat and. I'se The B'y that sails her!

One of the first songs me da taught me... ;)

You have to admit, those that go out to sea, eat really good.

I made a couple of trips up to the Bay of Fundy with my husband. One time I was sound asleep in the focsle and when I woke up, I went out on deck to look for my husband. It was low tide. I took one look at that ladder and went back to sleep.

Do you find yourself needing to be near or close to the ocean? -I do. The furthest inland I lived was in Tacoma in Washington. But even Puget Sound was close by.

Last edited:
I ate catfish in Memphis Tn., and they tasted of mud to me. The catfish in my neck of the woods, swims in cold, clear water that pours out of Lake Superior and tastes more like bass than the catfish I had in Memphis. Of course I'm not talking channel cats, but bullheads. They are still bottom feeding catfish, but probably haven't had the time to develop the muddy taste in the flesh. All I know is that they taste great. Like perch and bass, they can wreck your hand with the dorsal and pectoral fins if you're not careful. They've drawn blood from me on more than one occasion. But then, that's not what this thread is about, so, I'm done.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We eat catfish straight out of our rivers here in Nebraska. They are a mix of sand and mud. When we are camping they go on the fire within 5 minutes of being caught. Reel em in. Clean em. Wrap in foil with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, Maybe some diced onion or garlic. Its soooo good.

Frozen fish heads. The same thing they use in Alaska or any other part of the globe that catch their food in a trap.

Or any other fish parts or ground up fish put into containers with holes in them.
You have Maine lobsters up there. We had spiny lobster down south.
I have even seen cans of cat food used. Poke a few holes, tie it down and drop the trap.
But, I can agree that fish heads would work very well. Just cannot agree that's all they use.
In Alaska for king crab fishing, they use whole fresh cod and ground up fish in containers, not fish heads.

Right. Its more like jumping backwards. But I have seen them dart for many yards while in pursuit of them.
Not sure where I got the idea of actual swimming. It must have been very shallow water where they were marching. I saw it on TV.

Hurrah!!! ADDIE WINS!!!

img_1486220_0_039f1d8e6fd8568bb14ddffd806fc102.gif

How can she win when her answer was location oriented? Are we competing here?
If she had said in her experience and was decidedly discussing Maine lobster, then Addie would have been 100% correct. Maybe?
But since fishing bait for lobsters can be most anything and I know for certain that frozen fish heads are not all thats used, the best I can do is a door prize. You pick.

Last edited:
Or any other fish parts or ground up fish put into containers with holes in them.
You have Maine lobsters up there. We had spiny lobster down south.
I have even seen cans of cat food used. Poke a few holes, tie it down and drop the trap.
But, I can agree that fish heads would work very well. Just cannot agree that's all they use.
In Alaska for king crab fishing, they use whole fresh cod and ground up fish in containers, not fish heads.

Right. Its more like jumping backwards. But I have seen them dart for many yards while in pursuit of them.
Not sure where I got the idea of actual swimming. It must have been very shallow water where they were marching. I saw it on TV.

How can she win when her answer was location oriented? Are we competing here?
If she had said in her experience and was decidedly discussing Maine lobster, then Addie would have been 100% correct. Maybe?
But since fishing bait for lobsters can be most anything and I know for certain that frozen fish heads are not all thats used, the best I can do is a door prize. You pick.

You are right Roll Bones

However, I do love me some catfish and the place we go to for ours has been in business since I was a little girl. In operation for over 60 years and can fry any fish to perfection. Never heavy breading. Never, never, never greasy, nor tastes of grease. The last part is probably because they pay close attention to the "health" of their frying medium. Whatever the case, these people nail it...every time!

Did you ever go to Sue and Charlie's up around KY Lake? My parents and friends of theirs would bundle up all the kids and take us up there for lunch/dinner after church on Sundays or sometimes on Saturdays. I think they closed a long time ago. Mom and pop business, passed to kids, then grandkids didn't want to go on. They had such a light crispy batter, almost tempura like, and their hush puppies were just to die for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom