Catfish tastes like dirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch1719

Assistant Cook
I bought two catfish fillets from the grocery store and pan friend them. Mine tasted fine, but my wife complained that hers tasted like dirt. I tried hers, and indeed it tasted sorta like what mud smells like, if that makes sense. Is this normal? I washed each fillet thoroughly before cooking them.

I bought two catfish fillets from the grocery store and pan friend them. Mine tasted fine, but my wife complained that hers tasted like dirt. I tried hers, and indeed it tasted sorta like what mud smells like, if that makes sense. Is this normal? I washed each fillet thoroughly before cooking them.

Catfish are bottom eaters. That means they keep the bottom of the ocean clean. That is what applies to wild catfish. Farm raised ones have a cleaner taste. They are raised in large cement tanks. No dirt on the bottom.

Catfish are bottom eaters. That means they keep the bottom of the ocean clean. That is what applies to wild catfish. Farm raised ones have a cleaner taste. They are raised in large cement tanks. No dirt on the bottom.

Most of the ones raised in Southern states are raised in dirt ponds (they are also freshwater species).

Catfish can definitely taste "off" for a variety of reasons.
1 is feeding off the bottom, this is why they are feed floating food. but some will find other things on the bottom to eat.
Another reason is low oxygen levels. Low oxygen creates stress and can kill off algae in the ponds. This is normally why they taste "off".

A sample fish or two are caught and tested a day or two before the harvest. Samples will also be taken during the processing. Even with these checks some fish from the same batch can taste and smell "off".

Oddly, our Mississippi River catfish doesn't taste muddy, at least the ones I've eaten. But muddiness is a common complaint about catfish in general. Local, not imported, pond raised will probably taste less muddy for the reasons already stated.

Catfish is always the first thing my FIL orders when they visit from out of state. He loves our local catfish.

Last edited:

I have never heard or have I ever seen anyone eat salt water catfish.
Edible catfish are fresh water fish. I'm certian there are peolpe who may eat salt water catfish. But for the sake of this thread, we are talking about fresh water fish.
Also, it seems to me in particular, it is the Asian, farmed raised, catfish that have the off taste.
Much of the catfish and even the talapia are raised overseas in muddy ponds. At least that is how I have seen them raised on TV.

I occasionally buy catfish fillets and rarely/never have any taste issues with them. I never buy the Asian raised and that seems to be where the problem lies.
I don't buy catfish much anymore as we are catching them in the lake.
Crystal clear cold water lake.

Like so many others, I've eaten my last catfish for the chance of getting another muddy one. :sick:

I will not buy farmed raised (tiger) shrimp for this very reason. Except they all have a funny taste to me.
This is one product at Costco they could eliminate for good.
The seafood guy told me if I didn't like them, he would give me my money back. I did not like them, but did not ask for my money back.
I just learned a lesson.
We buy seafood from Costco, but will never buy those tiger shrimp again.

From what I understand, ocean catfish are best used for tarpon bait, not eating. Except for the tarpon.

I only buy shrimp if it's wild caught in the US.

Last edited:
I've always thought catfish tastes like dirt, especially the ones the bf caught at the lake. (blech)

I only like them fried in heavily seasoned flour. I've never liked them panfried or cooked any other way.

I have never heard or have I ever seen anyone eat salt water catfish.
Edible catfish are fresh water fish. I'm certian there are peolpe who may eat salt water catfish. But for the sake of this thread, we are talking about fresh water fish.

Catfish are also harvested in the Chesapeake Bay, which has varying levels of salinity, depending on how far the location is from the Atlantic Ocean. It's also caught in other rivers near the ocean and Gulf of Mexico; it likes moving water.

Also, it seems to me in particular, it is the Asian, farmed raised, catfish that have the off taste.

I don't think so. I've noticed that flavor for as long as I can remember. I occasionally (every five years or so) would take a bite of someone's and remember why I didn't like it :LOL: Then some years ago, I just decided, never again.

I occasionally buy catfish fillets and rarely/never have any taste issues with them. I never buy the Asian raised and that seems to be where the problem lies.

Not everyone has the same taste buds (see the maple syrup thread ;))

It is my understanding that the catfish that are farm raised in the States are gathered and kept in fresh water tanks to get rid of the mud. After several days they are then harvested.

I like catfish - have never had a 'muddy' taste - and this is a person who is very particular about flavour and taste as far as fish is concerned!

I don't buy it too often as most available in my particular area is always "pre-seasoned" whcih I can't stand.

Much of the catfish and even the talapia are raised overseas in muddy ponds. At least that is how I have seen them raised on TV.

Interesting this thread should show up today because Glenn and I had a delicious catfish lunch yesterday at our favorite place. All their fish is raised locally and has never had any off or muddy taste. They come from folks who use huge concrete or tile tanks and are raised in clean water.

A friend of ours used to raise tilapia this same way and it was fascinating to observe the process. Sadly, his business went belly up when overseas production came into play.

As for the Asian/overseas processing of fish and shrimp, the slurry they live in is more than mud. It's largely sewage, which is why we never buy any frozen or fresh that lists anything foreign on its country of origin.

Interesting this thread should show up today because Glenn and I had a delicious catfish lunch yesterday at our favorite place. All their fish is raised locally and has never had any off or muddy taste. They come from folks who use huge concrete or tile tanks and are raised in clean water.

A friend of ours used to raise tilapia this same way and it was fascinating to observe the process. Sadly, his business went belly up when overseas production came into play.

As for the Asian/overseas processing of fish and shrimp, the slurry they live in is more than mud. It's largely sewage, which is why we never buy any frozen or fresh that lists anything foreign on its country of origin.

Never anything foreign? That's taking it a little far, I think. Salmon from Scotland and branzino from Italy are pretty good. Fish and seafood from Asia have the most problems.

Never anything foreign? That's taking it a little far, I think. Salmon from Scotland and branzino from Italy are pretty good. Fish and seafood from Asia have the most problems.

Pretty much. The salmon you list and the Italian fish are not available here. We are quite rural and I mean rural. We get very little that hasn't first been frozen and variety is limited. I don't remember the last time I read a package that didn't say "raised in Vietnam, Thailand, etc." on it. Even the fish sold in the "fresh" cases have been previously frozen and come from the same sources.

Happily a seafood market has opened up a little over an hour away that does their own fishing in the Gulf and brings their catch back to sell. They just opened and I hope they do well. Many in the past have tried, but lot lasted very long.

In the meantime, we'll enjoy the fruits (fishes) of their labors.

We do have plenty of catfish here, but Glenn and I much prefer the ones that are raised in "farms" the way our friend raised tilapia. We don't much care for the river or lake catfish because they are, naturally, bottom feeders and can taste muddy.

Last edited:
Pretty much. The salmon you list and the Italian fish are not available here. We are quite rural and I mean rural. We get very little that hasn't first been frozen and variety is limited. I don't remember the last time I read a package that didn't say "raised in Vietnam, Thailand, etc." on it. Even the fish sold in the "fresh" cases have been previously frozen and come from the same sources.

That makes sense. I'm lucky to live in a place with good access to good fresh fish and seafood.

[/QUOTE]

We do have plenty of catfish here, but Glenn and I much prefer the ones that are raised in "farms" the way our friend raised tilapia. We don't much care for the river or lake catfish because they are, naturally, bottom feeders and can taste muddy.[/QUOTE]

Lobsters are also bottom feeders. But I see the point.

We do have plenty of catfish here, but Glenn and I much prefer the ones that are raised in "farms" the way our friend raised tilapia. We don't much care for the river or lake catfish because they are, naturally, bottom feeders and can taste muddy.[/QUOTE]

Lobsters are also bottom feeders. But I see the point.[/QUOTE]

I understand that, but they may not "muck" around like catfish. Don't know. Don't hang out with them in the water.:ROFLMAO: Lobsters are darned good, though.

For some reason, catfish seem to ingest, I guess, a lot of the mud they churn around in as they feed.

However, I do love me some catfish and the place we go to for ours has been in business since I was a little girl. In operation for over 60 years and can fry any fish to perfection. Never heavy breading. Never, never, never greasy, nor tastes of grease. The last part is probably because they pay close attention to the "health" of their frying medium. Whatever the case, these people nail it...every time!

Back
Top Bottom